A peculiar new statue of Mohamed Salah is so bad it's being mercilessly mocked on Twitter
- Mohamed Salah has been immortalised with a really weird statue.
- Salah is the Liverpool FC forward who scored 44 goals from 52 appearances in all competitions last season.
- The statue was unveiled at the World Youth Forum in Sharm al-Sheikh in Egypt.
- It has been mercilessly mocked on Twitter.
A peculiar new statue of Liverpool FC forward Mohamed Salah is so bad it has been mercilessly mocked on Twitter.
Salah is one of the best players in world soccer and helped push Liverpool into a place in last season's UEFA Champions League final, a year he scored an extraordinary 44 goals from 52 appearances in all competitions.
The 26-year-old, capped 61 times for the Egypt national soccer team, has been immortalised by Egyptian sculptor Mia Abdel Allah, who unveiled a weird bust at the World Youth Forum held in Sharm al-Sheikh on Sunday, according to the BBC.
Abdel Allah modelled his work on one of Salah's famous goal celebrations, but the statue's hair, small arms, and the general likeness have been torn apart by savage social media users who say the sculpture bears more likeness to Marv, an inept burgler in the smash hit movie "Home Alone."
Here's the statue:
"Lee," posting under the "Crosby71" username, seems to think the statue looks more like the popular character Screech from the early 1990s American sitcom "Saved by the Bell."
"Whinney," who posts using the "Bwhinney15" alias, said: "Salah does look like Marv from Home Alone."
The "Big Football" account compared the statue to Dobby the House Elf who is "three foot tall" and has "bat-like ears and green eyes the size of tennis balls," according to Pottermore, the digital home of all things Harry Potter.
Things may look bad but hey, it could be worse… it could look like the Cristiano Ronaldo statue that was unveiled outside Madeira Airport, in Portugal.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa
- South Africa is five times bigger than the UK - here's how our size compares to other countries
- This is the only one of South Africa’s 72 entry points where environment officials check for alien creatures - and those that sneak through cost us billions
- A big South African mall owner will scrap parking fees at some shopping centres – and offer R5 parking everywhere else
- Malusi Gigaba's sex tape is trending on the world's biggest porn site
- Bill Clinton has four words of advice for SA
- BP says ‘everybody that is anyone’ in SA has made environmental ‘mistakes’ – and their confessions shouldn’t be held against them