An American cagefighter was hospitalised because his nose got broken, twisted, and mangled after he took a knee to the face
- Mike Perry's nose got so broken, twisted, and mangled he was taken to hospital after a UFC fight Saturday.
- Perry narrowly lost a three round war against welterweight opponent Vicente Luque at the UFC Fight Night 156 show in Uruguay.
- It was a knee that caused the injury.
- Perry gets married in one month and will be hoping his face will heal in time for the wedding.
- Visit Business Insider's home page for more stories.
Mike Perry was taken to hospital because his nose got broken, twisted, and mangled after he took a knee to the face in a UFC fight Saturday.
American cagefighter Perry, 27, was fighting Vicente Luque, also 27, in a welterweight fight at the UFC Fight Night 156 event in the Antel Arena in Montevideo, Uruguay, when he suffered the brutal injury.
There were moments in the bout where Perry bled all over Luque while they were wrestling on the mat, and by the time he stood up at the end of the fight, it was clear his face was a mask of blood.
See the injury here:
Here's a close-up:
Perry's nose broke when he got hit with a knee late in the fight.
The lightweight fighter Dustin Poirier, who challenges Khabib Nurmagomedov for the wrestler's UFC championship title next month, said it was "one of the worst broken noses I've ever seen." He added: "Viva la violence."
The injury was so bad Perry was taken to hospital for a CT scan because "he was apparently having some trouble breathing after the fight for obvious reasons," MMA Fighting reporter Damon Martin tweeted.
Perry is getting married in one month and will be hoping his face will heal in time for the wedding.
Luque won the fight by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28).
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Why former BLSA CEO Bonang Mohale wants to buy a farm
- The sinister story of Nike's 'Just Do It' slogan, which was inspired by the last words of a murderer before he was executed
- Huawei is upgrading its Android-based operating system – here’s when South Africa will get it
- Boris Johnson's no-deal Brexit enforcer took R4 million in EU handouts for his farm
- Take a look inside Philip Morris International's IQOS flagship Sandton boutique - and yes, you can smoke inside the store
- Everything to know about HarmonyOS, Huawei's answer to Android as the trade war between the US and China rages on