Former Trump lawyer said the US president 'would start a war' to stop being removed from office
- President Trump's former lawyer, Michael Cohen, said on Friday his former boss will "do anything and everything" to stay in office.
- "I believe that he would even go so far as to start a war in order to prevent himself from being removed from office," Cohen said in an interview with NBC News.
- Cohen made the comments ahead of the release of his tell-all book, entitled "Disloyal, a Memoir," which is about his time working for Trump.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Donald Trump's former lawyer, Michael Cohen, believes the president will "do anything and everything" to remain in office, even if it meant he had to " start a war".
Speaking to NBC News on Friday, Cohen said his biggest fear leading up to the election is that there will no "peaceful transition of power in 2020."
"So Donald Trump will do anything and everything within which to win. And I believe that includes manipulating the ballots," Cohen said, according to NBC.
"I believe that he would even go so far as to start a war in order to prevent himself from being removed from office," Cohen added. "My biggest fear is that there will not be a peaceful transition of power in 2020."
Cohen's comments come ahead of the release of his new book next week called "Disloyal, a Memoir: The True Story of the Former Personal Attorney to President Donald J. Trump."
The 54-year-old, who was Trump's personal lawyer from 2006 to 2018, began a three-year prison sentence last year for financial crimes and lying to Congress. He was released in July because of coronavirus concerns and is spending the rest of his sentence at home.
The White House has called Cohen's memoir "fan fiction" in a statement, adding that he "readily admits to lying routinely but expects people to believe him now so that he can make money from book sales," according to NBC.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Eskom suspends power station managers
- WATCH | Sun City reopened this week – with Jerusalema
- Per-minute electric kick scooter rentals are coming to Cape Town – here’s what we know
- Bugatti sells a kiddie car that can cost more than R1 million — take a look
- Boris Johnson's government is preparing to build dozens of Brexit lorry parks in anticipation of border chaos