Meghan Markle just filed a trademark to try and stop people from impersonating her
- The Duchess of Sussex is trying to stop fans from trying to impersonate her.
- Markle's business manager has filed to renew the trademark for The Tig, a website she ran before marrying Prince Harry, The Sun initially reported.
- A spokesperson for Buckingham Palace told Insider that while there are "no plans to relaunch The Tig," the lasting trademark is to prevent others from "purporting to be the duchess or affiliated with her."
- Before she was a royal, Meghan Markle wrote personal essays and food and travel guides for the site.
- Visit Business Insider SA's homepage for more stories.
Meghan Markle is trying to stop fans from impersonating her online.
According to Buckingham Palace, the trademark for Markle's former lifestyle blog, The Tig, has been renewed "to avoid others purporting to be the duchess."
The Duchess of Sussex closed the website seven months before her engagement to Prince Harry.
While The Sun initially reported the duchess could be relaunching the site, a spokesperson for Buckingham Palace told Insider that this is not the case.
"There are absolutely no plans to relaunch The Tig, which was shuttered in 2017," said the spokesperson.
The duchess first came up with the idea to launch The Tig after a company approached her to start a website in 2014.
"I figured that if I was going to start something that was an extension of me, it really needed to feel organic, so I decided to do it myself - I write all of the content myself in order to keep the content feeling authentic," Markle said during an interview with InStyle.
The content on the site varied from interviews with famous chefs to fashion guides, as well as personal open letters from Markle herself.
In one open letter dating back to 2014 - two years before meeting Harry - she told fans that she was "complete with or without a partner."
"You need to know that you're enough. A mantra that has now ingrained itself so deeply within me that not a day goes by without hearing it chime in my head," wrote Markle.
"That five pounds lost won't make you happier, that more makeup won't make you prettier, that the now iconic saying from 'Jerry Maguire' - 'You complete me' - frankly, isn't true. You are complete with or without a partner. You are enough just as you are."
Receive a daily email with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- These 'kamikaze' drones are believed to have taken out 5% of world oil production in an attack on Saudi Arabia. Here's what we know about them.
- South Africa’s rich are paying R10.6 million for EU citizenship via Malta
- 42 secrets you never knew about the Titanic and the people aboard it
- It’s not just you, it really is getting harder to park at South African shopping centres – here’s why
- Take a look inside the most expensive hotel room in the world, a 2-story sky villa designed by Damien Hirst that runs R1.4 million per night and was just named one of the 'world's greatest places'
- 11 ways Prince William and Prince Harry have kept Princess Diana's memory alive