- McDonald's has a two-pronged strategy to wean South Africans off their overwhelming preference for the Big Mac and the Egg McMuffin.
- This includes the introduction of self-help kiosks.
McDonald's has a two-pronged strategy to wean South Africans off their overwhelming preference for the Big Mac, and on their breakfast menu, the beloved Egg McMuffin.
According to Jo-Ann de Wet, chief operations and supply chain officer of McDonald's, customers often feel pressured to order when standing in a queue. To keep the lines moving, they will opt for something familiar.
It is for this reason that the chain is rolling out self-service kiosks. "(With the kiosks) people have more time to familiarise themselves with the menu and maybe try something new," she says.In the last couple of months, McDonald's has held activations at a handful of stores during which it extended it breakfast service until 3PM. Normally breakfast items are only available until 10:30AM.*
The "newest" item on the breakfast menu is a breakfast wrap that comes with a fried egg, cheese and smoked chicken filling.
Some customers may have seen it as it has been on the menu for a few months now. Like the many breakfast menu items, it can be enjoyed with juice or coffee.
* This article previously referred to a broad extension of the McDonald's breakfast service until 3PM. It has been updated to correctly reflect that breakfast items are not available after 10:30AM, except during limited promotions at a limited number of restaurants. Business Insider regrets the error.
Receive a single email every morning with all our latest news: Sign up here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Walkout! Senior managers responsible for 25% of STAR revenue pack their bags
- We tried burgers from Steers, Burger King, Wimpy, and McDonald's. The winner was clear.
- I was so fed up with traffic that I bought a motorbike - and the results were surprising
- Get unlimited free data for the rest of June - but good luck connecting
- Welcome to Elon Musk's school, where kids play with flamethrowers and shirk foreign languages