Trump's niece Mary taunted her uncle on Twitter boasting about higher TV ratings
- President Trump's niece, Mary Trump, taunted her uncle by boasting about how her recent MSNBC interview got more views than his last Fox News interview in June.
- "5.23 million v. 5.11 million," Mary Trump tweeted on Friday night, with a thoughtful emoji.
- She also added the hashtag "#seldomseen" - a reference to an attack made by the president on Friday in which he described her as a "seldom seen niece who knows little about me."
- For more stories, go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
President Trump's niece, Mary Trump, taunted her uncle on Twitter by boasting about the huge number of viewers that tuned into her appearance on MSNBC.
Mary Trump also included the hashtag "#seldomseen" in the tweet, which is a reference to an earlier attack made by the president in which he described her as a "seldom seen niece who knows little about me."
The president's niece sat down with MSNBC journalist Rachel Maddow on Thursday to discuss her recently published tell-all book about the president and his family entitled "Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World's Most Dangerous Man."
Since hitting the shelves earlier this week, nearly one million copies of the book have been sold.
In the interview with Maddow, Mary Trump reveals that she heard her uncle use the N-word and anti-Semitic slurs.
"I don't think that should surprise anybody given how virulently racist he is today," she said.
When asked about why she decided to speak out now, Mary Trump responded: "I can't say there was a last straw because there have been so many straws, but certainly the horrors at the border, the separating of children from their parents, the torture, the kidnapping and the incarceration of them in cages was unthinkable, unbearable.
"When an opportunity presented itself to me to do something, I needed to take a leap," she added, according to Variety.
The comments prompted the president to launch an angry Twitter rant on Friday, in which he describes Mary Trump as a "seldom seen niece who knows little about me." He also accused her of saying "untruthful things" about him and his family and claimed his niece "violated her NDA."
....will all end up going to the government anyway. Next up is Mary Trump, a seldom seen niece who knows little about me, says untruthful things about my wonderful parents (who couldnâ€™t stand her!) and me, and violated her NDA. She also broke the Law by givng out my....— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 17, 2020
The White House has denied the contents of the book and that the president ever used any racial slurs.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- A mine in Mpumalanga hit a hugely rich vein – and the gold is easily visible
- Here’s what it will cost to keep your fibre internet going during loadshedding
- It’s official: Stay out of office till October, and SARS will let you claim home office costs
- Here are some of the best smartphones you can buy for under R1,000
- Like minibus taxis, Uber and Bolt will be allowed to load 100% capacity – but they’re not keen yet