A bottle of Macallan 60-year-old that's been called 'the holy grail of whisky' just set a new record price at auction
- A bottle of Macallan 60-year-old sold at auction for more than R16 million ($1.1 million).
- That price tag makes it the most expensive bottle of whisky ever sold.
- The Macallan Valerio Adami has been described as "the holy grail of whiskys."
A bottle of Macallan 60-year-old went for $1.1 million at auction in Edinburgh, Scotland on Wednesday.
According to a Bonhams press release, the extremely rare Macallan Valerio Adami was distilled in 1926 and bottled in 1986.
Bonhams Whisky specialist Martin Green, who referred to the 1926 Macallan as "the Holy Grail of Whisky," noted in the same press release that its "exceptional rarity and quality puts it in a league of its own."
According to Forbes, it was purchased over the phone by a bidder in Asia.
So, just how rare is it?
It's part of a limited edition of only 24 bottles. They feature custom-designed labels by pop artists - 12 by Peter Blake and 12 by Valerio Adami.
As for the location of the other bottles, according to the BBC, another Macallan Valerio Adami was sold at auction at Bonhams Hong Kong in May. That bottle briefly held the record for the most expensive bottle of whisky ever sold.
Yet another bottle is believed to have been destroyed in a 2011 earthquake in Japan and a third is believed to have been opened and consumed.
Whisky lovers who are looking to enjoy their drink without breaking the bank, on the other hand, might want to consider this $17.50 whisky that was named among the best in the world in 2018. And they may consider enjoying it over some top-tier, luxury ice.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- You can earn up to R100,000 by shopping with tourists
- Facebook is launching fake news checking in South Africa – here’s how it works
- The maker of Corona beer made an early bet on dagga — and it's already made nearly R15 billion
- MaXhosa and Okapi just launched a stunning new range with Riky Rick in London – this is what it looks like
- This is how far R100 in petrol will get you in some of SA’s most popular cars – the winner surprised us
- Meghan Markle confirmed she has a new puppy, but says everyone got its name and gender totally wrong