A British reality star lost sight in one eye after it 'got split in half' by a Champagne cork while he was on vacation
- The British reality-TV star Theo Campbell says he has lost his sight in his right eye after it was hit by a Champagne cork while he was on holiday on the Spanish island of Ibiza.
- Campbell, who starred in ITV's "Love Island" in 2017, wrote in an Instagram caption that his right eye "got split in half."
- A witness told OK magazine that someone had popped a bottle of Champagne at a party and that the cork had flown into his eye.
- On Twitter, the reality star added that he had seven stitches in his eye but didn't want to believe that it was "gone forever."
- Visit Business Insider SA's homepage for more stories.
The British reality star Theo Campbell suffered what he called a "really unfortunate accident" while on vacation on the Spanish island of Ibiza.
"So yeah basically 2 eye surgeries later after a really unfortunate accident, I've lost all vision in my right eye as it got split in half," Campbell captioned the post.
"Who would have thought a champagne cork would be the end of me."
Not one to look at the cup half empty, Campbell added: "I still have 1 eye left, looking at the bright side of things."
He went on: "If anyone knows where sells cool eye patches let me know :). #captinhook #thor #fettywap."
The 28-year-old provided more details of the injury on Twitter, writing that he had seven stitches in his eye and that doctors said it was unlikely that he would ever be able to see properly again.
"Im hopeful and don't want to believe my eye is gone forever. Anything is possible," he wrote.
I currently have 7 stitches in my eye (gross) and the doctors say itâ€™s unlikely Iâ€™ll see properly again, they done a good job saving it as they said I might loose my whole eye to begin with. But Im hopeful and donâ€™t want to believe my eye is gone forever. Anything is possible ????— Theo Campbell (@theo_campbell91) August 28, 2019
A witness told OK magazine that someone had popped a bottle of Champagne at a party and that the cork flew into Campbell's eye.
"People were screaming when they realized what happened and saw the state of his eye," the witness said. "One of the guys said it looked like his eye had exploded."
Campbell's girlfriend, Kaz Crossley - who starred on "Love Island" the year after him - flew out to Ibiza to visit him in the hospital.
"It's been a hard 24 hours, no one here speaks English and he was taken for hours at one point and I had no clue he was in surgery again," Crossley wrote on her Instagram story.
"I've stayed in his room overnight and just wanna take him home. He's so brave and positive hopefully it will get better. Thanks for your kind messages.
"I hope this will make people aware of the dangers at these parties and to be more careful," she said.
Receive a daily email with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Here’s what MSC Cruises’ new R200 million terminal in Durban will look like
- Google researchers found a bunch of malicious sites that quietly hacked iPhones for years
- 7 relationship experts reveal their favourite questions to avoid awkward small talk on a first date
- Children in Brazil are struggling to breathe because of all the smoke from the Amazon fires
- I'm a 'sugar baby' who gets paid R7,500 per date — here's what it's really like to date sugar