These are the 7 best ads in SA right now, and they feature a robot called Sbu and an Icelandic Afrikaner
- SA's premier awards event for advertising and branding, the Loeries, takes place in Durban this weekend.
- The judging panel has announced the finalists competing for the coveted best TV and cinema advert prize.
- Chicken Licken leads with two nominations.
The finalists for the best TV and cinema adverts (longer than 90 seconds) have just been announced for the Loeries, Africa and the Middle East's premier awards for advertising and branding.
The winner will be announced this weekend.
See also: These are the 5 best new logos in South Africa right now — including one for Afrikaans underwear
Chicken Licken is the most-nominated brand with two ads in the running; one of a local robot called Sbu and another of an Icelandic boy who has assumed an Afrikaans identity.
Watch: 7 best adverts in SA right now:
Sbu 2.0 — Chicken Licken
This hilarious ad features Sbu, a charming suburban-dad robot who plays soccer and teaches high-school kids.
Created by: Joe Public United.
Dala what you must— Brand South Africa
This inspiring ad portrays a young photographer from Hangberg, Cape Town, preparing for a photo shoot in his crime-ridden community.
Created by: The Odd Number.
The helpers — FNB
The heartwarming ad takes us on a young rugby player's journey from childhood to becoming a Springbok player.
Created by: Grid Worldwide Branding.
#NoExcuse — AB InBev (Carling Black Label)
In a bid to create awareness and help put a stop to the surge in domestic violence in SA, the ad draws us into a space where such abuse takes place and the ramifications of making excuses for offenders.
Created by: Ogilvy Cape Town.
Choices — Aware.org
Another campaign oriented towards addressing socioeconomic issues. Aware.org's ad educating viewers on the perils of 'drinking like there is no tomorrow.'
Created by: Riverbed.
My dad — National Sea Rescue Institute
A sad bride is seen giving a speech at her wedding reception. She talks about the many life events her father has missed, including her wedding.
At first, it seems as though she's lost her father while in actuality, he's missed out because he's at sea with the National Sea Rescue Institute doing meaningful work as a first responder.
Created by: Ogilvy Cape Town.
Icelandic boy — Chicken Licken
Chicken Licken's second nominated ad campaign, also by Joe Public, is ridiculously funny and again, focuses on South African patriotism in a quirky manner. The ad features an Icelandic family who is perplexed by the behaviour of their son, who calls himself 'Frikkie'.
Created by: Joe Public.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- The tech bosses of Vodacom and Discovery swear by these productivity apps - here's why
- The 9 biggest rand crashes - from the global financial crisis to the Turkey slump
- All the cool features of the new Samsung Galaxy Note 9 - available in South Africa within two weeks
- These are the 5 best new logos in South Africa right now — including one for Afrikaans underwear
- The best answer to 'What's your greatest weakness?' in a job interview comes down to two parts