Last-minute Christmas shopping can be a painful and humiliating experience, as you rush from closed store to closed store in increasing desperation for a holiday gift that doesn't say "I don't care enough about you to shop ahead of time.
But never fear! Business Insider South Africa rounded up the top 20 gifts you can still by at a petrol station shop, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, almost anywhere in the country.
We visited a Pick n Pay Express at a BP, a 1plus at a Engen, a Shell Select, and a Bonjour at a Total garage in Sea Point, Cape Town – and spent the kind of time you may not have to figure out how to give a gift that nobody need ever know came from a forecourt store.
(Note that the prices were correct at our visit, but are subject to change and regional variation.)
Vida E Capella coffee beans - R89 at Shell Select
Sally Williams Handmade Turkish Delight 300g - R83.90 at Total Bonjour
Lindt Lindor chocolate - R44.38 at BP Pick n Pay Express
Fancy Earl Grey tea - R39.99 at Engen 1plus
Ferrero Rocher chocolate - R44.90 at BP Pick n Pay Express
Lindt Hello chocolates - R43.20 at BP Pick n Pay Express
Cadbury Whispers 200g - R53.99 at Engen 1plus
Toblerone 100g chocolate - R39.50 at a Total Bonjour
Lindt Lindor chocolate balls - R100.87 at BP Pick n Pay Express
Cute holiday cards - R35.91 at Engen 1plus
Hug in a Mug - R59.90 at BP Pick n Pay Express
Vida E coffee coffee capsules - R79 at Shell Select
36 Chocolate balls - R76.99 at Egen 1plus stores
Shirwood snapstix biltong 80g - R55.90 at Shell Select stores
Roses - R64.99 at Engen 1plus
100g M&M's - R30.25 at BP Pick n Pay Express
Cadbury Crunchie Rocks and Twirl bites - R67.90 each at Total Bonjour
Chuckles and Multi Coloured Eggs - R199.99 at Engen 1plus
Areon car air freshner - R43.40 at Engen 1plus
Sally Williams Macadamia Nougat 150g - R70.90 at Total Bonjour
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Chicken Licken’s ‘Big John’ ad has been banned as ‘triggering’ on colonialism
- An early retiree who interviewed 100 millionaires found many of them built their fortunes using a simple investment strategy championed by Warren Buffett
- Google just announced it's shutting down its Allo messaging app for good. Here are 18 other Google products that bombed, died, or disappeared
- There's a science-backed trick for making smarter, quicker decisions
- I tried intermittent fasting for a month — and I saw 7 life-changing results