There's a keyboard shortcut that will transform how you browse the web on your desktop hiding in plain sight
There's a keyboard shortcut that can transform how you'll browse the the web on your desktop - and it's hiding in plain sight.
What is it?
Try it. Press it now. I'll wait.
That's right: Pressing the space bar by itself when viewing a website automatically scrolls down one page. It's an incredibly useful way to navigate the web as you scroll through articles and social media feeds - one I comfortably use hundreds of times a day.
If, like me, you're a regular user, you're probably now wondering how on earth anybody doesn't already realise this is a thing.
But a surprising number of people have no clue that it exists.
This came to light earlier this week, when British journalist and consultant Martin Bryant tweeted about his shock upon discovering it was a thing: "How have I used web browsers for 22 years without realising that the space bar scrolls the page down?"
How have I used web browsers for 22 years without realising that the space bar scrolls the page down?— Martin Bryant (@MartinSFP) October 22, 2018
The replies to his tweet were full of other users expressing their amazement about the trick.
"MY MIND IS BLOWN," wrote PR exec and former tech journalist Drew Olanoff.
Music consultant Lee Thompson agreed: "Good grief, neither did I..."
"This just bent my head," another Twitter user added.
And Ben Rooney, the former Wall Street Journal tech editor in Europe, had an additional tip: If you press shift and the space bar at the same time, it scrolls up a page.
Modern computers are full of wild and hidden keyboard shortcuts, but this isn't one of them. And that's the point. It's a single click, with no memorisation or combination key presses required, that can transform how you browse the web. No fiddly mouse wheels or slow arrow keys required!
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Here's why you should never put vodka in the freezer, according to the creator of Grey Goose
- 13 fruits ranked by how much sugar they contain
- SA universities have doubled researcher numbers in a decade – but SA business isn’t coming to the party
- South Africa now has some of the cheapest shares in the world - these are the best opportunities, according to expert investors
- These 10 companies have just pledged to invest over R130 billion in SA at Ramaphosa's Investment Summit
- Comair loses its patience with SAA, moves maintenance overseas
- Petrol price relief: November price cut expected after eight long months
- Super-smart traffic lights to be launched in South Africa - and could cut travel time by 26%
- 1,000 human teeth were found in the wall of a building