- Photos of Jeffrey Epstein, the convicted sex offender and disgraced hedge fund manager who killed himself in a federal prison, reveal he dressed as a US Navy SEAL for a royal costume party at Windsor Castle in 2006.
- Epstein is pictured wearing the US Navy's service dress white uniform, which is reserved for formal occasions. Adorned on the late financier's uniform is the Navy SEAL Trident, the special warfare insignia reserved for members of the elite community.
- Also included are several service ribbons and medals. Some of these seem to be actual military awards, such as the Navy Cross and Silver Star; others appear to be fictional.
- For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
Photos of Jeffrey Epstein, the convicted sex offender and disgraced hedge fund manager who killed himself inside a federal prison, revealed he went as a US Navy SEAL at a costume party hosted by Prince Andrew, Duke of York, at Windsor Castle in 2006.
The photo, which was published by The Sun on Saturday, shows the late Epstein attending the 18th birthday party for Princess Beatrice, Prince Andrew's oldest daughter. Accompanying Epstein in the photo is Harvey Weinstein, the Hollywood mogul facing numerous sexual abuse allegations; and Ghislaine Maxwell, the British socialite accused of liaising Epstein with his alleged victims.
Epstein is pictured wearing the rank of a Navy commander in a service dress white uniform, which is reserved for formal occasions for officers and senior enlisted. Adorned on the late financier's uniform is the Navy SEAL Trident, the special warfare insignia reserved for members of the elite community.
In July 2006, the month before the picture was taken, the FBI launched its investigation into child prostitution allegations against Epstein.
Epstein killed himself in his prison cell in August 2019, according to prosecutors, citing medical examiners and video surveillance. Weinstein is scheduled to go to trial in January for sexual assault and rape allegations from three women. Maxwell denied having orchestrated Epstein's alleged sex trafficking ring and has stayed away from the public eye.
Prince Andrew has also been at the center of the controversy. Virginia Giuffre, an American woman, alleged she was forced to have sex with the prince when she was 17-years-old. Andrew denied the allegation.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- This is how much it will cost to take your home off the grid - and avoid load shedding forever
- Eskom is now rationing electricity at stage 6 – here's what that means
- Some light at the end of the load shedding tunnel: new independent power plants could be connected to the grid by February. Here’s what is coming online and when.
- Study finds broadcast coverage of the UK election has aligned 'most closely' with Boris Johnson's agenda
- In March South Africa was joking about load shedding. Now, not so much.
- Abandoned South African mines could become giant batteries to fend off load shedding if a UK company has its way