The world's richest man is divorcing - and he's reportedly dating a former TV anchor who's still married
- Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is reportedly dating entrepreneur and former TV anchor Lauren Sanchez.
- Earlier on Wednesday, Jeff and MacKenzie Bezos announced that they were divorcing after 25 years together.
- The New York Post reported that Sanchez is still married to Hollywood agent Patrick Whitesell, though they are separated.
- The National Enquirer said it's on the verge of publishing an exposé on the alleged affair between Bezos and Sanchez, saying its reporters tailed the pair for months.
Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos reportedly has a new romance in his life: former TV anchor Lauren Sanchez.
On Wednesday, the billionaire exec and his wife, MacKenzie Bezos, announced they were divorcing, saying in a joint statement: "We want to make people aware of a development in our lives. As our family and close friends know, after a long period of loving exploration and trial separation, we have decided to divorce and continue our shared lives as friends."
The New York Post and the National Enquirer both reported that Jeff Bezos, 54, is romantically involved with 49-year-old Sanchez, a former "Good Day LA" news anchor with Fox who also works as a helicopter pilot and entrepreneur.
The TV host is still married to Patrick Whitesell, the co-CEO of prominent Hollywood talent agency WME. Whitesell counts Matt Damon, Christian Bale, and Hugh Jackman among his clients. According to the New York Post, Sanchez and Whitesell separated in the fall. It's after this that Bezos reportedly "became closer" with Sanchez. Sanchez has three children - two from her marriage to Whitesell and one from a previous relationship.
The National Enquirer said it conducted a four-month investigation into Bezos and Sanchez's alleged affair, and suggested that it was its impending report - due to be published in full later this week - that sparked the announcement from Bezos.
"During a blockbuster four-month investigation, The ENQUIRER tracked Bezos, who turns 55 on Jan. 12, and secret lover Sanchez across five states and 64,000, tailed them in private jets, swanky limos, helicopter rides, romantic hikes, five-star hotel hideaways, intimate dinner dates and 'quality time' in hidden love nests," the National Enquirer wrote in a story teasing its upcoming investigation.
Bezos has an estimated net worth of about $137 billion, and news of his impending divorce has sparked fevered speculation as to what it will mean for his fortune. It's not clear whether Jeff and MacKenzie Bezos signed a prenuptial agreement or formed another arrangement regarding what would happen if they split. The couple have been married for 25 years, and have four children.
An Amazon spokesperson did not immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Oops Woolworse, you did it again!
- A major SA retailer is now selling citrus specifically for gin – and people are freaking out
- This is what R300,000 a year buys you at SA’s most expensive high school – which just saw a fee increase of a whopping R22,000
- These are the top 10 academic schools in South Africa right now - with fees starting from R30,000 a year
- FNB clients can save up to R1,500 by getting a 2-for-1 food and entertainment app for free. Here’s how.
- Watermelons are suffering from severe sunburn this year – but South Africans still can't get enough