A black sport star and his white fiancée toasted to 'more light-skinned kids' - and now face outrage
- A US professional football player Jahleel Addae and his fiancée, Lindsey Nelson, are facing backlash after Nelson posted a video of them toasting to "more light-skinned kids."
- The video, which was originally posted on Nelson's Instagram page, showed the couple with friends, as well as their 1-year-old son, Zion.
- The couple have faced backlash online, with people accusing them of colourism, which is discrimination or prejudice against individuals with darker skin tones, particularly among people of the same ethnic group.
- Some people shared photos of darker-skinned children to show Addae and Nelson "what beauty is."
A black US professional football player and his white fiancée are facing backlash on social media after video emerged of them toasting to "more light-skinned kids."
Los Angeles Chargers player Jahleel Addae's fiancée, Lindsey Nelson, shared an Instagram story of the toast before putting her profile on private, according to Yahoo Sports.
The video showed one man saying, "Cheers to more light-skinned kids," which the group then repeated. Addae is seen in the video holding his and Nelson's 1-year-old son, Zion.
It's unclear what was said that prompted the toast.
Despite Nelson's Instagram being private, other pages, including "Wagsteainc," which posts updates on the wives and girlfriends of athletes, shared it on public profiles.
People are outraged and offended
Since going viral, the video has caused outrage online, with people accusing the couple and their friends of colourism, which is the discrimination or prejudice against individuals with darker skin tones, particularly among people of the same ethnic group.
I don't have problem with you having a white wife if that is who you love. But when you allow that white wife to disgrace you #JahleelAddae your Mother, sisters and future daughters, then you sir have truly forgotten who's shoulders you stand on and where you are from #GetOut SAD— Everything Bae Likes (@1SummerStorm) February 10, 2019
Some are using the incident as an opportunity to celebrate beauty
Some people shared photos of darker-skinned children to show Addae and Nelson "what beauty is."
Addae and the Chargers did not immediately respond to INSIDER's request for comment.
Addae and Nelson are set to be married in Florida this July.
For more go to Business Insider South Africa.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Take a look: Here's how Netflorist ruined Valentine’s Day for some South Africans
- Successful people are adopting the concept of 'microscheduling,' which involves breaking your day into 5 to 7-minute slots and even planning cups of tea
- Everything you need to know about South Africa's massive gas find
- Dis-Chem bagged half a million new customers in two months - but still disappointed investors
- Airbus is scrapping production of its iconic A380 superjumbo as airlines ditch the biggest commercial jet in history
- A woman developed an uncommon disease after petting a stray cat, and her body basically attacked itself