Israel hit back at a threatening tweet from Iran with a 'Mean Girls' gif
- Israel took aim at Iran on Monday with a popular "Mean Girls" meme.
- Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei tweeted that Israel was a "cancerous tumour" that needed to be "eradicated."
- An Israeli embassy responded with a moment from the 2004 classic where Regina George asks: "Why are you so obsessed with me?"
Israel trolled Iran on Monday with a gif from the film "Mean Girls" after Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei called for their complete annihilation.
Khamenei tweeted that Israel is a "cancerous tumour" that needs to be "eradicated," and referenced to the Palestinian "March of Return" movement which has seen several large-scale protests along the Gaza border in recent weeks.
The Israeli Embassy in the US responded to Khamenei's colorful language with a gif from the 2004 film "Mean Girls," in which Regina George, played by Rachel McAdams, Cady Heron, played by Lindsay Lohan’s character, "Why are you so obsessed with me?"
The embassy's response has over 18,000 likes and 7,000 retweets.
Many of the commenters praised Israel's witty response to Iran's threats of annihilation. One user asked in Hebrew: "Who is the 15-year-old boy responsible for the embassy's Twitter?"
Some called for the poster to receive a raise.
Israel and Iran have recently been sparring online and offline; last month, the two exchanged fire in Syria.
- Why our bad growth number is good news
- Here’s what you can do when an infected colleague insists on coming to the office this flu season
- Our new business fashion feature. This week, we visit Cell C to find out what they wear
- A South African skincare company is about to morph into an engineering company after a weird couple of months
- The Reserve Bank says its Project Khokha was a success – but SA is not yet ready for a bitcoin-style payment system yet