Vegans are furious at Hyundai for its Super Bowl ad
- Hyundai's Super Bowl ad is infuriating vegans.
- The commercial positioned a vegan dinner party, complete with "beetloaf," as a horrific experience on par with a root canal.
- "We actually love vegan food and are glad it's going more mainstream," Hyundai tweeted on Sunday.
Vegans are beefing with Hyundai over the car company's Super Bowl ad.
Hyundai's Super Bowl commercial features a couple riding an elevator that is dropping people off to different unpleasant experiences, such as a root canal or shopping for a car. One undesirable experience is a "vegan dinner party," complete with "beetloaf."
The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals took issue with the ad when it was released on Twitter prior to the Super Bowl.
"Instead of buying a car from people with outdated ideas, we suggest a vegan Smartcar by Mercedes," PETA tweeted. "Great mileage & acceleration, turns on a dime."
ICYMI: The trend of 2019 is taking the elevator UP to vegan dinner parties (and an Earth, heart, & animal-friendly lifestyle). Instead of buying a car from people with outdated ideas, we suggest a vegan Smartcar by Mercedes. Great mileage & acceleration, turns on a dime.— PETA (@peta) January 31, 2019
Vegans expressed similar negative sentiments when the ad aired on Sunday evening.
"Hyundai's Superbowl ad should not have made fun of vegan food - it is the one diet that can help our health, help the planet & help the environment," one person wrote on Facebook.
"I need a new car. I was considering a Hyundai. I am a vegan," reads another. "It's hard enough to live this way with out being denigrated by a car company. Shame on you."
"We totally respect veganism and are happy that it is mainstream," a representative for Hyundai said in an email to Business Insider.
On Twitter, the company is attempting to make amends with vegans by sharing an actual recipe for beetloaf.
"We actually love vegan food and are glad it's going more mainstream," Hyundai tweeted.
"We also hope that vegans have a sense of humor just like dentists, parents, judges and flight attendants, the others stops represented on 'the elevator,'" the Hyundai representative added.
Watch the full Hyundai ad here:
For more, go to Business Insider South Africa.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- 23 Ekurhuleni councillors paid their bills late last year – including mayor Mzwandile Masina
- The City of Johannesburg has a debt problem – and its own councillors owe it more than R1 million
- Enterprise Polony is back on shelves after listeriosis – with ‘improved food safety’ and a price higher than the competition
- A young South African oral hygienist just shared a surprising dental secret – and it's going viral overseas
- The City of Johannesburg missed its target for pothole repairs by a large margin – and its track record for rates certificates is shaky