Watch: Huskies in Christmas hats sledding on a South African beach
Meet South Africa’s beach Huskies: cute, cuddly and rearing to run in their Christmas hats on the long white sandy beaches of Muizenberg and Strand in Cape Town.
They are part of Mush It Up, an organisation dedicated to the high energy Husky, often bought because of their beautiful coats and amazing blue eyes.
Started in 2009, founder Sam Gunter and his team saw a rise in the number of unwanted, neglected and abandoned Huskies and wanted to make a change.
“You can feel their energy. The come alive when they run…Nordic breeds demands are very high, including needing to be exercised daily, often for 10-20km per day. They are excellent escape artists, they shed their coats twice a year and they are often deemed too much work,” says Gunter.
Even without snow he is helping them run, as they were born to do, on the beach
“We are very lucky in Cape Town as it’s still very cool in the evening still and there is a lovely cool breeze off the water from the sea. We run on the wet sand where the water runs up, it’s great fun for the huskies and they love it,” said Tracey-Lee Palframan, of Mush It Up.
Mush It Up rents out space on their sleds at R150 per dog. They can run with up to 20 dogs per sled and run 5 kilometres.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- We tried Christmas puddings from Spar, Checkers, Pick n Pay, and Woolworths – and found the brandy missing in the wrong one
- Disappointing photos that show what royal life is really like
- South African triathletes earn R40,000 from a single event and travel the world – here’s how to become one
- 10 flying objects people have mistaken for alien spaceships
- You can order from Uber Eats (but not Mr D Food) on Christmas Day – but you have to plan if you want to avoid disappointment
- Here is how expropriation – with or without compensation – would work under the new Expropriation Bill