6 tips to play tonight's R180 million Powerball jackpot
- At R180 million, tonight's Lotto Powerball jackpot is the biggest one yet.
- There were no winners for Wednesday's R165 million jackpot, which has now rolled over.
- We spoke to South Africa's former Statistician-General to get numbers with winning potential.
Tonight's Powerball jackpot stands at a guaranteed estimated jackpot of R180 million - the biggest ever in the National Lottery history.
As there was no winner for Wednesday's R165 million jackpot, the Powerball has rolled over for the record-breaking amount.
"There is no way in which you can calculate all the possibilities until you get the right one."
Trying to cover any decent percentage of the possibilities in five numbers and one bonus number will just bankrupt you, Lehohla says.
There is one way to increase your odds, he says, and that is pooling together money. But not just by getting friends and family together – you'd need pretty much the entire country involved in your group to get the odds in your favour.
Basically, it is all about luck.
If you are going to try your luck, here's the best way to go about it:
1. Play smart.
Have a budget and stick to it. The aim is to gain a few extra rands, not lose them, so only buy the number of tickets you can afford.
NB: Hands off the grocery and transport money.
2. Pick your own numbers.
Yes, sometimes winning numbers came from Quick Picks. However, that does not mean Quick Picks have any advantage; randomness just works out that way sometimes. You may as well get the extra entertainment out of making up your own number selections.
3. Pool your money with others.
There is strength in numbers. The bigger your group, the better.
4. Pick different numbers.
Pick as many variations as possible. Also, feel free to repeat numbers you have played before. It doesn't really matter, so, again, have fun.
5. Avoid the Birthday Syndrome.
Because no one is born on the 38th day of the 49th month. Your birthday has special properties for you, but not in lotto selections.
6. Play responsibly.
Gambling is addictive. Remember, this is just a game.
* Business Insider South Africa has published a previous version of this article.
For more go to Business Insider South Africa.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- 17 key announcements in the State of the Nation address - including the new eVisa and free tablets
- Yes, SA data is more expensive than it needs to be, Vodacom says – and it is all government’s fault
- No more freebies: Coke is ending promotion events after 'vagina' can incident
- Watch: Aibo the AI dog tries to hang out with real dogs and fails miserably to fit in with the pack
- This new storm and wave predictor can save SA business billions - and help surfers catch the perfect wave
- We sent chocolate eggs to test courier services and the winner shocked us senseless