How to video chat on an Android device using a third-party app
- To video chat on an Android device, you'll need to download a third-party app, as there's no native Android video chatting app.
- Luckily, there are dozens of different video chatting apps available on Andriod devices, most of which are free to use.
- One of the simplest video chatting apps you can find on an Andriod device is Facebook Messenger.
- For mores stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
Although it's become such a common phrase that everyone uses, you can't actually FaceTime anyone using an Android phone. That's because FaceTime is exclusive to Apple devices.
Most Android devices don't actually have their own native video chatting app. Instead, they let you pick one from dozens available in the Google Play Store.
When you search for "video chat" in the Play Store, you'll find Skype, Zoom, Google Hangouts, and more. All of these apps have their own features, require their own account, and have their own userbases.
One of the easiest ways to video chat easily using your Android device is through the Facebook Messenger app, which we'll focus on here. All you need for this is a Facebook account, and you'll be able to video chat with anyone else that uses Messenger.
Here's how to video chat on an Android device with a third-party app like Facebook Messenger.
How to video chat on Android using a third-party app
1. From your Android device's Home screen, tap on the Messenger app and log into your Facebook account.
2. Tap on the contact with whom you'd like to video chat. Doing so will open your personal text chat history with this person.
3. With the chat window open, tap on the camera icon located at the top of your screen to request a video call.
4. Your Messenger app will begin calling the other person, but you cannot video chat until the other person picks up their end of the line. In the meantime, your device's camera will turn on, and you can play around with Messenger's video chatting features, like video effects.
5. Once the other person answers your video call, you should be able to see them on your screen and speak to them normally.
6. When you want to end the video call, tap on the red button marked with the phone icon to hang up. Once you or the other person hang up, your chat history will show that you made a video call to each other, and for how long.
You can video chat with more than one person at a time, too. All you have to do is create a group message with the intended recipients and then tap the camera icon like you would in an individual chat.
Other Android apps that allow for video chatting
We recommend that you research what kind of video chatting app will work best for your needs. You're sure to find one that suits you.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Lockdown Phase 2: Here’s what we know about rules and how restrictions will change
- These are the kind of measures businesses (and schools) can expect when SA’s hard lockdown ends
- Woolworths is going drive-thru. Here are the stores where you won’t have to leave your car
- South Africa's top Google searches during lockdown
- Wine exports are now banned again during lockdown – for fear of alcohol piracy
- 25% of job ads scrapped in SA in 6 weeks – but some skills are now in hot demand