How to delete your Netflix viewing history, and prevent something you've watched from affecting your viewing recommendations
- You can delete your Netflix history one title at a time, but you can't erase your entire history at once.
- Deleting your Netflix history will stop those movies and shows from appearing in your "Continue Watching" section, as well as alter what Netflix recommends you in the future.
- To delete your Netflix history, you'll need to use the Netflix website on a computer.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Netflix keeps a close watch on what you watch.
Most of the time, this is a good thing — because Netflix knows exactly what you are watching, it can place shows in progress in the "Continue Watching" section so you can easily pick up where you left off. It also can use shows you have watched to make better recommendations about what you might want to see in the future.
But if you don't want Netflix to use your viewing history, you have a little control. You can remove individual movies and TV shows from your history. This can keep Netflix from making viewing recommendations and is a sort of "nuclear option" for keeping other people on your account from seeing what you're watching.
But since you can't delete your entire viewing history at once, this can be time-consuming if you want to delete a lot of items.
How to delete your Netflix viewing history
1. In a web browser, go to the Netflix website. You can do this on a computer or in a browser on a mobile device, but you can't use the Netflix mobile app.
2. Click your account icon at the top right of the browser window, and then click "Account."
3. Scroll down to the section called My Profile and click "Viewing Activity."
4. On the My Activity page, you'll see a list of the most recent Netflix movies and TV shows you have watched. To see more, scroll to the bottom and click "Show More."
5. To remove a video from your viewing history, click the "stop" icon to the right of "Report a Problem."
6. Repeat that process for any other movies or shows you want to remove.
Anything you delete will be removed from your viewing history within 24 hours.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- SA corruption clampdown: Here are all the latest arrests
- Please don’t use it, govt says, but SA will soon offer travellers tests on arrival
- ANALYSIS: SA is rapidly ditching tough rules for visitors – but not the one that matters
- Implats mine plans large solar plant
- You can now get a Covid antibody test at a Dis-Chem drive-through station
- Chinese giant Oppo makes big push for South Africa with a ‘flashy’ phone