- Sony will launch the PlayStation 5 this year with a standard model and a digital edition with no disc drive.
- Sony showed off the PlayStation 5's look for the first time and announced the initial lineup of PlayStation 5 games during an hourlong livestream event on June 11.
- Though pricing and preorder details haven't been revealed yet, we'll update this post as soon as they become available.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Sony revealed the PlayStation 5 during an hourlong stream in June, showing off the standard and digital editions of the next generation console. The company still hasn't announced the price or exact release date of the PS5, but the console is scheduled to launch later this year.
Sony is reportedly planning to produce 10 million PlayStation 5 consoles by March 2021, with demand expected to increase due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The PlayStation 5 reveal stream also highlighted the PS5's DualSense controller and the initial lineup of PlayStation 5 games. The stream included announcement trailers for titles like "Spider-Man: Miles Morales," "Gran Turismo 7," "Resident Evil: Village," and "Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart."
The PlayStation 4 is the most popular video-game console of its generation, having sold more than 100 million units worldwide since November 2013. The PlayStation 5 will compete with the Xbox Series X, Microsoft's upcoming console, for the affection of gamers throughout the 2020 holiday season.
While new PlayStation and Xbox consoles are just a few months away, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles are selling out amid the coronavirus pandemic and shelter-in-place orders. Reports have indicated that the pandemic could lead Sony to produce fewer PS5 consoles for the initial launch.
Though full details on pricing and availability for the PS5 are still forthcoming, we've detailed everything we know so far about how to buy the console. We'll update this article with more preorder information as it's revealed.
Updated on 7/17/2020 by Kevin Webb: Added details about Sony's production plans for the PS5 and a link to Amazon's new PS5 product page.
Sony PlayStation 5 price
The PlayStation 5 will be released in two different models - one that has a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray drive and a "digital edition" with no disc drive at all. It's unclear if the digital edition will be less expensive, but the two models are otherwise the same. An official price has not been announced yet, but prior reports have suggested that the console will cost approximately $500 or $550 in the US.
Sony PlayStation 5 specifications
Sony has said the PlayStation 5 will boast much more powerful hardware than the PlayStation 4 and PS4 Pro. Upgrades include a solid-state hard drive and a graphics card capable of ray-tracing technology.
"Fortnite" creator Epic Games used the PlayStation 5 for an impressive technical demonstration of its upcoming Unreal Engine 5 software, giving gamers an early look at the new console's potential.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Nestlé swears it isn't ending Peppermint Crisp and Quality Street – but some sizes are toast
- Truck drivers from Botswana keep catching the coronavirus in SA
- The Free State plans ‘extreme measures’ to lure tourists
- Durex condom sales are slumping as 'intimate occasions' disappear during the Covid-19 pandemic
- Like minibus taxis, Uber and Bolt will be allowed to load 100% capacity – but they’re not keen yet