- Statistics South Africa compiled a price index that tracks Game of Thrones essentials since the first season.
- The price of wine and televisions increased by more than 35%.
- Game of Thrones is available to view on DStv right now.
A lot has changed since the ultra-popular HBO series Game of Thrones was released eight years ago.
Starting with the way we watch it: few would have imagined that they would end up watching the final season on their smartphones or tablets, via DStv Now or Showmax.
The first episode of Game of Thrones season 8 is now available to stream on DStv Now - it will be broadcast on Mnet channel 101 at 22:00, and will be available on Showmax from the same time.
Also read: Here's a complete guide to all the meaningful reunions on the season 8 premiere episode of 'Game of Thrones'
As an estimated one billion people tune into the last season, Statistics South Africa also got swept up by the frenzy, and released a new index that tracks the prices of "essentials" for Game of Thrones viewing since 2011.
Wine - 36.6% more expensive
DStv decoder - 19.3% cheaper
Televisions - 43.5% more expensive
Blankets - 17.3% more expensive
Tissues - 13% more expensive
Axes, swords, crowns, dragons - unindexed
Statistics South Africa says it currently does not include these items in its inflation basket.
For more, go to Business Insider South Africa.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- This South African invented an eco-friendly sneaker cleaner that is now in hot demand across the world
- 23 examples of Tiger Woods' extraordinary competitiveness
- We tested a new app that allows you to negotiate the cheapest fare from taxi drivers
- These are the 10 most confusing words in the English language
- The US Army is working on new camouflage to hide soldiers from one of their greatest threats
- How this SA biologist became obsessed with parrots and was nearly killed by a hippo in a bid to save the Okavango