These were the 10 highest-grossing movies in South Africa this year
- Black Panther topped the South African box office in 2018.
- It earned some R114 million in tickets sales, according to numbers from the IMDB.
- No South African films featured among the top-ten list.
Marvel's Black Panther - which featured scenes filmed in the Free State, the talents of local actors John Kani, Atandwa Kani, Connie Chiume and Trevor Noah as well as homegrown fashion and music - is on track to become the world's highest-grossing film in 2018. The film, which raked in a quarter of a billion dollars in ticket sales globally, also topped the local box office, according to the Internet Movie Database's (IMDB) Box Office Mojo platform.
No local film cracked the top-ten list - although the new rebooted Tomb Raider, which was shot on location in Cape Town, earned about R18.4 million at local cinemas.
These were 2018's top 10 highest-grossing movies in SA
1. Black Panther, R114 million ($8 million)
"T'Challa, heir to the hidden but advanced kingdom of Wakanda, must step forward to lead his people into a new future and must confront a challenger from his country's past."
2. Avengers: Infinity War, R79 million ($5.5 million)
"The Avengers and their allies must be willing to sacrifice all in an attempt to defeat the powerful Thanos before his blitz of devastation and ruin puts an end to the universe."
3. Incredibles 2, R49.7 million ($3.4 million)
"Bob Parr (Mr. Incredible) is left to care for the kids while Helen (Elastigirl) is out saving the world."
4. Fifty Shades Freed, R37.5 million ($2.6 million)
"Anastasia and Christian get married, but Jack Hyde continues to threaten their relationship."
5. Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again!, R33.5 million ($2.3 million)
"Five years after the events of Mamma Mia! (2008), Sophie prepares for the grand reopening of the Hotel Bella Donna as she learns more about her mother's past."
6. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, R33.5 million ($2.2 million)
"When the island's dormant volcano begins roaring to life, Owen and Claire mount a campaign to rescue the remaining dinosaurs from this extinction-level event."
7. Deadpool 2, R31 million ($2.1 million)
"Foul-mouthed mutant mercenary Wade Wilson (AKA. Deadpool), brings together a team of fellow mutant rogues to protect a young boy with supernatural abilities from the brutal, time-traveling cyborg, Cable."
8. Tyler Perry's Acrimony, R26.5 million ($1.8 million)
"A faithful wife, tired of standing by her devious husband, is enraged when it becomes clear she has been betrayed."
9. Peter Rabbit, R25.3 million ($1.7 million)
"Feature adaptation of Beatrix Potter's classic tale of a rebellious rabbit trying to sneak into a farmer's vegetable garden."
10. Mission Impossible: Fallout, R24 million ($1.6 million)
"Ethan Hunt and his IMF team, along with some familiar allies, race against time after a mission gone wrong."
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- There's a scary iPhone feature that erases all your data after too many password attempts — here's why you should turn it on anyway
- These were the top 10 Google searches in South Africa in 2018
- We tested the Joburg, Cape Town and Durban metro call centres - here's what we found
- You can’t buy weed at the Cannabis Expo today – but you can get dagga doggy treats and massage oil
- No Castle Lager at some liquor stores - as SAB runs out of bottles
- Dreading 2019? Do this, and feel better immediately