Watch: Here’s what imitation crab meat is really made of
- From California rolls to crab cakes, imitation crab meat pops up everywhere.
- But what is imitation crab meat made of? It contains no actual crab but a fish paste called "surimi."
- For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
That stuff in your store-bought California roll might look like crab, but it's probably an impostor called "imitation crab."
Imitation crab is less expensive than the real thing, but when it comes to nutrition, there's no competition: real crab is what you want.
The reason imitation crab isn't as nutritious as the real thing is because it contains no actual crab. That's right, the main ingredient is actually a fish paste called surimi.
Surimi is often made from pollock fish with fillers and flavourings like starch, sugar, egg whites, and crab flavouring. The combination of fish parts, carbs, and sugar are why nutrition isn't imitation crab's strongest quality.
Despite containing no real crab and being less nutritious, that's not stopping us from eating it. In 2010, Americans consumed almost twice as much pollock as crab.
You can bet the crabs like those numbers.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- These are the most expensive Lego sets on shelves in South Africa - with one currently fetching R18,000
- A woman may never talk or feed herself again after getting mercury poisoning from her skin-lightening cream
- Here's what's next for the Senate vote on the impeachment of US president Donald Trump
- Boeing's launch of a new spaceship for NASA went awry, and the vehicle no longer has enough fuel to reach the International Space Station
- Durban just picked up an award as the Greenest City in the world - but when it rains the beaches look like plastic waste dumps
- Cape Town is due to get a ‘safe’ R14 billion Foreshore development – here’s what it could look like
- Inside Swarovski Crystal Worlds, a dreamlike attraction nestled among the Austrian mountains that features a carousel made of 15 million Swarovski crystals
- Best Gifts for kids 2019: toys, gadgets, ideas and what not to buy