Nando’s is offering a 30% discount for July – but there’s a catch
- Nando's is selling quarter-chicken meals (minus a drink) for R30 until the end of July.
- That's a solid 30% discount – and it is proving to be popular.
- Which is why you'll want to get in the queue early.
Until the end of the month Nando's is offering a quarter chicken with chips and a roll for R30.
Add in a can of cool drink – at a not-so-special price of R18 – and that makes for a 30% discount on a meal with a normal list price of R67.
That has proven a very attractive offer, especially at the cash-flush start of the month, and our investigations showed that entire offices and retail teams were buying the special as a group.
Word is also spreading online.
Nando's quarter chicken,chips and a roll all for R30 Rt to save a life— Zuko Mntonintshi (@ZukoMntonintshi) July 4, 2018
And therein lies the catch: there are only 100 specials available per day, per store.
To spread things out a bit, Nando's limits specials to four per customer, and we watched tellers turn away attempts to buy up to 21 at a time. But even so, that 100 sells out pretty quick, well before lunch time in stores we polled.
Nando's initially started the special as a way of gifting their loyal customers on their 30th birthday.
"This year we just thought to do it all over again," says Su-lise Tessendorf-Louw, Nando's general manager of brand and strategy IMEA.
And why are they doing this?
"Because Mzanzi needs fuel to keep fixing our sh*t," she says. 30% is, for Tessendorf-Louw, a good bargain.
"And judging from the feedback from everyone, they think so too."
The special runs until the end of July.
UPDATE: *This article as been updated to include comment from Nando's.
Receive a single email every morning with all our latest news: Sign up here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- 10 healthy takeaway lunches that will boost your productivity
- Nando's is refusing to give the UK Conservative party a discount card to help recruit members with chicken
- The new Pick n Pay 'plastic' bag can be used as compost in your garden - this is what it looks like
- Chesanyama's owner didn’t pay its taxes last year – but has high hopes for its new Brazilian, US, and French chains
- It’s obvious KFC’s '4 hot Zinger wings' are actually just two wings, advertising authority rules