From a 10-bedroom house in Kimberley to a bachelor flat in Sandton, this is what R2 million will buy you right now
- A budget of R2 million will you get you anything from a bachelor flat to a ten-bedroomed house, depending on where you are buying.
- Business Insider looked through Property24 to see the type of property what R2 million can get you.
Thanks to significantly improved domestic sentiment, faster growth in property prices (particularly in Gauteng) can be expected this year.
John Loos, household and property sector strategist at FNB Home Finance, says house prices could even possibly grow by more than 5%. This follows a weak period in house prices in many areas.
In the past decade, Tshwane’s house prices fell by 22.5% (after inflation), while Joburg prices are down by 24.1%. However Cape Town property prices continued to increase, with many areas now unaffordable to entry-level buyers.
This is reflected in our survey of what R2 million can buy you in different parts of the country.
Johannesburg: A 1 bedroom apartment in Inanda, Sandton.
It is sophisticated, and comes with a garden, but is not exactly a mansion.
Cape Town: a 1 Bedroom flat in the Cape Town City Centre.
Fantastic views of Devils Peak, Table Mountain and Lions Head and communal facilities include a roof top pool area and braai facilities – but this 45 square metres.
Durban: a 4 Bedroom townhouse in Musgrave.
A family home close to the Musgrave Centre. It has an outside entertainment deck and features a "nutty brown granite kitchen".
Port Elizabeth: a 5 Bedroom house in Providentia.
This family home is 980 square metres and has 3 open-plan living areas that flow onto a balcony over looking two swimming pools and three braai areas.
Mbombela: a 3 Bedroom house in Steiltes.
This development in Steiltes offers three-bedroom homes with two bathrooms, an open plan living area with a modern kitchen and large patio. The estate offers solar panels and is pet friendly.
Kimberley: a 10 Bedroom house in Hadison Park.
The property is being punted for the change to convert it into off-campus accommodation for students at the Sol Plaatjie University which is three kilometres away.
Polokwane: 2 to 3 bedrooms in The Aloes Lifestyle Estate.
Homes in The Aloes Lifestyle Estate with two and three bedrooms; pre-landscaped.
Bloemfontein: a 4 Bedroom house in Universitas
The property is located near the University of the Free State and hospitals. The house has a large garden and apool with three upgraded bathrooms.
- Cape Town is changing the way it charges for power because its residents are using too little electricity. Here’s what it will mean for power bills.
- After a scam hit a co-founder's family, these SA brothers built one of the most innovative companies in the world
- These unbelievable stunts are in hot demand to sell everything from beer to cars
- This is the Cape Town apartment block with a R88 million penthouse Steinhoff bought just days before Markus Jooste resigned
- This is the best place to be sitting if your plane is about to crash