Watch: Haunting footage of a Soviet-era ghost town revealed by drone
Akarmara was once home to thousands, but now just 35 people live in this disputed part of eastern Europe.
They live in what looks like a giant post-apocalyptic jungle.
Over 25 years, the mining community collapsed after war and economic change drove people away.
Akarmara is in Abkhazia, a breakaway region on Georgia’s Black Sea coast.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Comair loses its patience with SAA, moves maintenance overseas
- This South African super-strong brick is made from human urine - a world first
- Here's how the mini-Budget will impact you
- Trump continues to take calls from his iPhone despite warnings that China and Russia could be listening
- Kate Middleton wore a mermaid gown with one of Princess Diana's tiaras and she looks like a real-life Cinderella
- Apple is reportedly planning to fix the 'beautygate' effect, which automatically smoothes out selfies on the new iPhones