Gwyneth Paltrow's seasonal gift guide includes solid gold rolling papers and an entire Spanish village
- Gwyneth Paltrow's website and lifestyle brand, goop, has become well known for having slightly outlandish items on its yearly gift guides.
- This year, one of the items on its "Ridiculous but Awesome" roundup is an entire village in Spain.
- The guide also includes an Hermès surfboard, 24-karat gold rolling papers, and a zero-emissions yacht.
Because of this, it should surprise no one that if you were to buy every item on this year's aptly-named "Ridiculous but Awesome" gift guide, the total price would be $497,384 (about R7 million). And that's without including the "price upon request"-only items.
One of the most expensive gifts is an entire rural village near Lugo, Spain
The village costs $172,910 (R2.4 million). According to its listing on Aldeast Abandonadas (a real estate website that sells abandoned villages), it includes at least three houses, and is complete with water, electricity, a functioning sewer system, and an oven "to make bread".
The website also states that the village has panoramic views, a farmhouse, and is in an ideal location next to a river.
This isn't the only village for sale in the Galicia region of Spain, where Lugo is located. According to NPR, many of these villages were abandoned as people flocked into the cities. The result is a growing market in which real estate agents hope to match up abandoned villages with foreign buyers.
Other notable items on the "Ridiculous but Awesome" roster include a Hermès surfboard ($7,700 - the equivalent of R108,000), a shiny lamp in the shape of a banana ($340 - just shy of R4,800), 24-karat gold rolling papers ($55 - or about R770), and a zero-emissions yacht (price upon request).
Gift guides from the actress and lifestyle guru's website always create a mildly panicked ripple across the internet, and this year was no different. People on Twitter reacted with a mix of dismay, anger, and resigned amusement.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- ‘Uber for bakkies’ is coming to a city near you after a former MTN exec invested millions
- Patricia de Lille ‘should have Googled’ her campaign name – but the original Forgood doesn’t mind the attention
- This small Cape hotel has just been named the most romantic retreat in the world
- After a R1.7 billion deal, taxi operators who don’t pay back their loans will answer to their peers
- Watch: A South African telescope just found a runaway star racing at more than 2,000km a second
- There’s a huge price difference between pap brands - here's why
- There's a hidden symbol in eight of diamonds playing cards that you won't be able to unsee