Revealed: The most Googled terms in South Africa over the past decade
- Google South Africa revealed the most searched terms in the country over the past decade.
- Notable entries include "Uzalo", "load shedding" and "Thanos".
- Roughly half of the South African population have access to the internet.
- For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
Load shedding - which has plagued the country since 2007 - and fictional Marvel supervillain Thanos were among the most googled terms in South Africa in the past decade.
A Google report revealed that four of the ten most-searched terms over the past decade were distinct to South Africa.
Other notable entries include SABC 1 soap Uzalo which was the second most-searched term, children’s song Baby Shark at position five, and electronic dance music style Amapiano at the tenth position.
Load shedding was both the most searched term the past decade in South Africa, and in 2019.
The top terms South Africans searched on Google the past decade were:
1. Load shedding
3. Meghan Markle
4. Zodwa Wabantu
5. Baby Shark
6. Cardi B
7. Game of Thrones
9. Nicki Minaj
For 2019 alone, Google’s report revealed that eight of the ten most searched terms were distinct to South Africa.
Fiona Viotti, who is accused of having sexual relations with underage boys at the prestigious Bishops boys school in Cape Town, was the fifth most-searched term; Bosasa founder Gavin Watson. who died in a car accident in August, seventh; and Hoërskoel Driehoek, where 26 pupils were killed when a concrete slab collapsed, the tenth most searched term.
The top terms South Africans searched on Google in 2019 were:
1. Load shedding
2. Election results
5. Fiona Viotti
6. Black Friday Specials
7. Gavin Watson
8. Mark Batchelor [Murdered former soccer striker]
9. Teacher’s Day
10. Hoërskoel Driehoek
There are an estimated 31 million internet users in South Africa, or roughly 54% of the overall population.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- A giant 'blob' of hot water almost the size of South Africa threatens the survival of fish near New Zealand
- An 'old' phone was the most popular smartphone this year - further evidence that people are fed up with high prices
- Airbnb denies a report that it rejected a plan to require government IDs to sign up for the home-sharing service because it might hurt growth
- TAKE A LOOK: South Africa's best-decorated holiday home lit up by 2km of lights
- A South African family was robbed of all their belongings - including Christmas gifts and insulin - at a Niagara Falls Airbnb