Google is 20 years old — here's what it looked like when it first launched
- Google will celebrate the 20th anniversary of its search engine launching on Thursday.
- It's changed a lot in 20 years.
- For a peek at what Google's search results looked like back then, search "Google in 1998."
Google turns 20 years old this month.
Google Search was the first product from the tech giant now known as part of Alphabet, and Google's been celebrating the milestone all week on social media.
The company's official birthday is September 27, 1998, which is when Google first launched its webpage.
In the 20 or so years since then, Google has changed a lot — while the primary colours in the logo and the search engine's name has stayed the same, the company has added a ton of new products, including Gmail, the world's most popular webmail product, and Android, which powers most of the world's smartphones.
Thankfully, the search page has stayed relatively minimal.
Here is what Google looked like when it first launched:
If you want the full retro experience, you can see what Google's search results looked like back then by searching "Google in 1998."
Here's what that looks like (Screenshot) :
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- South African 'alpha male' will run the world's biggest gold miner
- 10 massive projects the Chinese are funding in Africa - including railways and a brand-new city
- 50% of SA's dams aren't safe to swim in - you can check dam water quality in real time on this website
- Coca-Cola buys a kombucha maker as drinkers ditch sugary soda
- Amazon plants fake packages in delivery trucks as part of an undercover ploy to 'trap' drivers who are stealing