- Goodyear has a new way to buy tyres geared at millennial women.
- The concept, called Roll, allows customers to buy tyres online and have Goodyear employees travel to install the new tyres wherever cars are parked.
- Customers can also visit showrooms, which look more like a trendy hair salon or coffee shop than a traditional tyre store.
Goodyear is creating a special store for millennial women in the US.
On Monday, the tyre company announced plans to debut a new shopping concept specifically geared at millennial women shopping for tyres. The concept, called Roll, emphasises online shopping and offers a wider range of tyre purchasing and installation processes.
"We think there's a need out there to have tyres on your terms," Fred Thomas, vice president and general manager of Goodyear Retail, told Business Insider.
Unlike traditional Goodyear stores, Roll allows customers to purchase tyres online or in the showroom, which looks more like a bright and trendy hair salon or coffee shop than the typical store.
Customers can also choose to have tyres installed at the showrooms, which feature a valet service so customers can travel.
According to Thomas, the new shopping concept wasn't created specifically with millennial women in mind from the start. Instead, Goodyear was trying to find a way to make shopping for tyres more convenient, in the same way industries such as grocery or retail more generally have already attempted.
Once Goodyear started testing the concept, it scored exceptionally well with millennial women. According to a survey by the company, 79% of millennial female respondents said they would visit Roll the next time they purchased tyres, 31% higher than the average response.
"I don't think you're going to walk into the store and think this was created just for millennial females," Thomas said.
However, young women are a demographic Goodyear is eager to attract to stores. According to Thomas, Goodyear stores currently tend to draw an older crowd that skews male. Roll, hopefully, could help fix that, with a convenience that Goodyear believes will appeal to "time-starved" millennial women.
Roll will begin opening showrooms in the Washington area in the US, followed by Philadelphia.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- South African women are spending up to R100,000 to make their bums bigger - but doctors urge caution
- Big changes for Pick n Pay Smart Shoppers: you can swap points at tills and earn points for petrol
- The price of Clicks’ faulty pregnancy tests: Fights, surgery and devastation
- People think this R14,000 scarf looks exactly like a vagina - and a luxury brand has been forced to withdraw it
- Amazon's new Kindle Paperwhite is the lightest Kindle ever - and can withstand being submerged in water
- This photo of a neck — or is it a back? — is going viral, and people are seriously stumped
- A large glass tower is planned for Port Elizabeth to honour Madiba - here's what it will look like