Well over a thousand girls under 14 years old gave birth last year – but the median South African mother keeps getting older
- 1,287 births were registered to girls between the ages of 10 and 14 last year.
- That does not count births not yet registered, or a large chunk where the age of the mother was not specified.
- But the median age for mothers increased to levels not seen for nearly two decades.
- For more stories, visit the Business Insider South Africa homepage.
Well over a thousand pre-teen and early-teen girls gave birth in South Africa last year, Statistics South Africa reported on Thursday.
In the 14 months between January 2018 and February 2019, the agency said, 1,287 births were recorded to mothers between the ages of 10 and 14, based on data drawn from the department of home affairs' National Population Register (NPR).
That does not include unregistered births, nor those that have not been properly recorded. A further 4,872 births were to mothers either younger than 10 or older than 54 – or where the mother's age had not been recorded and might have been between 10 and 14.
See also: Just over a million babies were registered in South Africa last year – and a lot of them were named Enzokuhle Dlamini, again
The 2018 recorded births for these very young mothers was down slightly, by 1.2%, compared to the previous year.
But the large number of young mothers did not stop the trend of an increase in the average age of mothers in South Africa.
The median recorded age for mothers in 2018 was 27.9 years, Stats SA said, higher than at any point since at least 1999.
The mean age for mothers dropped to a low of 26.2 years in 2006, and only breached 27 years again in 2016. It has been climbing steadily ever since, by 1.1% between 2016 and 2017, and by 1.5% between 2017 and 2018.
The ages of fathers can not be tracked with great reliability, because their details remain missing on most birth registrations. In 2018 details of fathers were missing in 62.7% of births, StatsSA said.
But in those cases were details were provided, the majority of pre-teen and early-teen mothers gave birth to children fathered by men aged between 17 and 25, with some up to 42 years old.
* The headline of this article has been updated to reflect that it is the median – not average – age of mothers that has been increasing in recent years.
Receive a daily email with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- A massive, rare blue diamond has just been found outside Pretoria
- This is what braai essentials cost at Checkers, Pick n Pay, Spar and Shoprite - and you might be paying too much for Pepsi
- This is SA’s favourite restaurant in Cape Town, Durban and Joburg, according to OrderIn
- A Thomas Cook flight attendant says she only learned that the company collapsed and she lost her job on Facebook
- The G-spot is a dangerous myth ruining women's sex lives, according to the doctor behind 'The Vagina Bible'
- Take a look: this is the 'Aerotropolis' that Durban’s government hopes will bring in R1 trillion in investment
- The US and Saudi Arabia are searching for a 'smoking gun' among wrecked weapons that will conclusively link Iran to the attacks on Saudi oil sites