Woman thought she was getting a ‘spa weekend’ – instead her boyfriend took her on a tour of Spar shops
- A UK man took his girlfriend on a tour of nine Spar shops - after she thought she was promised a "spa weekend".
- She has sworn revenge, but reportedly they are still together.
- For more stories, go to Business Insider SA's home page.
The UK newspaper The Sun reports that a UK man promised his girlfriend a “spa weekend” for Valentine’s Day - instead he took her on a tour of nine Spar shops in the Birmingham area.
“If you say you are going on a spa weekend everyone thinks s-p-a. But I thought it would be funny to go on a Spar weekend,” David Burrows told The Sun.
His partner Sue Pakey (44) only got suspicious once they stopped at the second Spar on the two-hour tour.
Burrows said: “I thought it would be funny. I did buy her something in each one, I’m not a total monster.”
He insisted on taking selfies outside each store.
Almost unbelievably, the couple are reportedly still together.
Burrows did take her out for dinner to make up for the prank, but Pakey has sworn revenge, according to The Sun.
Through its Irish subsidiary BWG Foods, South Africa’s Spar owns a number of Spar outlets in Ireland and the UK - but not in Birmingham.Last year, an American waitress sued her employer for giving her a "toy Yoda" - a stuffed Baby Yoda toy - instead of a Toyota. She said the restaurant promised a Toyota to the winner of a contest to sell the most beer to clients.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Some SA mining companies are finally making money – but not enough to help us avoid tax increases soon
- What we know about Natascha Viljoen, the new CEO of Amplats
- SA’s newest solar power station is now online and powering 40 000 homes – see how it came to life
- Chicken could get pricier as soon as next week when Ramaphosa slaps tariffs on SA's poultry imports
- A reference letter will increase your chances of getting a job in SA by 50% – if it isn’t too glowing