Gauteng is being rocked by heavy floods – here are some of the shocking scenes
- Heavy rain hit parts of the country today with flooding reported in many areas.
- The heavy rainfall is slowly expected to start clearing from the west from late morning.
- As the heavy rain continues to persist, thousands of South Africans took to twitter to document the damage.
Roads were completely flooded in Thokoza, 27 kilometres south of Johannesburg.
Benoni Lake broke its banks – flooding a steamboat-themed mall.
Homes were flooded near Pretoria.
Some South Africans went out of their way to clear blocked roads.
Let’s applaud this good samaritan. He is pulling a tree with his bakkie’s winch to create way for motorists. This is just outside Hatfield on the N4- N1 onramp. #Flooding @SAWeatherServic @eNCA @Radio702 @ewnupdates @PigSpotter @CityTshwane pic.twitter.com/nqEZsCQGsB— Remmone Mareme (@Remmonem) March 23, 2018
This man pulled a tree off the road with his bakkie to create way for motorists.
The governement even issued notices about what to do in a flash flood.
Meanwhile, some were doing the math and thinking of Cape Town.
In Jozi we've had 100+ mm of rain in 36 hrs. A roof the size of a double garage would have given you 4000 litres. For the whole of Gauteng that rain (2 trillion litres) would have filled CT's near-empty Theewaterskloof dam four times over! #flooding #WorldWaterDay pic.twitter.com/jLRA1zgsnZ— Derek Martin (@derekbmartin) March 23, 2018
- These are some of South Africa's most brazen medical aid scams and schemes
- These online courses (from as little as R140) can land you a hot job in tech
- Le Creuset, which is owned by a South African, has apologised for angering its black fans
- The closest thing you can find to Wakanda in the real world is Wits, according to the world's biggest news agency
- Samsung is making some good-looking cases for your new – fragile – Galaxy S9
- South Africa will be one of the biggest beneficiaries from the new African free trade area, says Moody’s
- We tried KFC's new 'mojito' - and one ingredient was a bit overpowering
- 34 years of hard slog, and then 2 big promotions in 6 days: what we know about new acting Sars boss Mark Kingon
- Amazon is selling fake Basotho blankets in the middle of the Black Panther craze – and they are really ugly
- Cyril Ramaphosa is backing the Afro – but a single African currency may only work if it is pegged to the rand, says an economist
- The world's most expensive superyachts come with helipads, movie theaters, and swimming pools — take a look
- A medium at Woolworths? You’re actually a XXL at Mr Price. Why SA’s clothing sizes are crazy
- We compared the price of contracts that come with an iPhone X – and the winner is R1,200 a year cheaper than the rest
- These are the 5 most expensive South African wines you can buy right now – if you are willing to spend up to R5,000 per bottle
- 'World's most comfortable shoe' now made from South African invasive trees
- South Africa’s top barista showed us how to brew the perfect cup of coffee
- Use this secret weapon to improve your meetings, suggest SA academics
- An exec who invests Mark Shuttleworth’s money keeps every rejection letter he has ever received – here’s why