From African print suits to running shoes — these are the 5 workwear trends for SA men this Spring
- Spring has sprung and with that comes a change in wardrobe for the office.
- We asked one of SA's top up-and-coming fashion designers for some tips on what to rock this season.
- African print suits, running shoes and neon tops are some of the trends that made the list.
Trench coats, jerseys, wool suits and leather boots are finally being tucked away as the Spring/Summer season kicks in. The change in seasons, however, also calls for a change in wardrobe for the office, which can get tricky.
We turned to one of SA's top up-and-coming fashion designers, Mzukisi Mbane, owner of Imprint ZA, to get some tips on what to buy. Imprint ZA is a budding fashion brand that's been winning the favour of local celebrities, including DJ Tira, Siv Ngesi, Minnie Dlamini, Nomzamo Mbatha and Bonnie Mbuli.
"Don't be afraid to challenge yourself when it comes to fashion. More especially with colour. Spring is the best time to play," is his advice.
These are the top 5 workwear trends Mbane has identified:
1. Sports luxe
The sport luxe trend of taking items with pure athletic purposes and adding fashionable twists to them is "in" this spring, according to Mbane.
A good example is wearing running shoes, he says.
You can even wear running shoes with a t-shirt and suit for the office.
Bright, vivid, reflective and eye-catching colours are the hue of Spring this year, according to Mbane.
The trick with wearing neon for men: "Keep it very simple," he adds.
Mbane tells Business Insider SA that if you're going for the neon look, "a neutral tone suit with that pop of colour in the tie or t-shirt" is more ideal for the office.
Denim is back, says Mbane.
The 70s denim look - matching a denim top with denim bottoms - is hot, in particular.
Afrofuturism has been big since the release of the Marvel blockbuster Black Panther — which showcased magnificent African fashion in great detail.
Mbane recommends investing in an African print suit for the office.
"But you don't have to wear it as a suit if it's really not your vibe." he says.
You can either do the pants with a solid white shirt or t-shirt depending on the occasion, says Mbane. "Or do a blazer, white shirt, with neutral solid coloured pants or denims."
Read: Turns out, Wakanda is a place near Bloemfontein. Black Panther’s South African footage was shot in the Free State
5. Skincare and shades
Mbane also lists taking good care of your skin by keeping it clean and fresh as a styling tip for the hotter seasons.
He also suggests a pair of interesting shades.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- South African passports are down – again – in global rankings, no thanks to China and India
- A new deal values PrivateProperty.co.za at R254 million – and it's on track to earn R30 million in after-tax profit this year
- There’s one only lab in South Africa that produces snake antivenom – which it makes inside horses
- Nigeria is catching up to SA – fast – as Africa’s most valuable national brand
- Facebook is launching fake news checking in South Africa – here’s how it works
- The maker of Corona beer made an early bet on dagga — and it's already made nearly R15 billion
- 9 things you should never keep at your desk
- Melania Trump responds to criticism about wearing a 'colonial' hat in Africa