- Fried chicken was the most ordered meal on Uber Eats in South Africa the past year, but noodles came surprisingly in second, the company revealed.
- Uber Eats said it now has more than a million users in the country, and is the largest food delivery service in the country.
- Uber Eats and Mr D Food collectively account for 90% of South Africa’s fast food delivery market.
Fried chicken, cheeseburgers and Margherita pizzas are among the most-ordered meals on Uber Eats South Africa the past year, general manager Ailyssa Pretorius said.
But noodles were the second most popular category ordered, ahead of wraps and well ahead of pizza.
The global food delivery service said it now has more than one million users in South Africa, up from 550,000 a year ago.
Pretorius said Uber Eats has transformed food delivery from pizza on a Friday night to becoming a part of consumers’ everyday habit since it launched in South Africa in 2016.
Pretorius provided Business Insider South Africa a list of the most popular food items ordered on Uber Eats the past year. Unsurprisingly, fried chicken tops the list – but burgers came third thanks to a strong showing by noodles.
When it comes to pizza, South Africa showed a preference for that stalwart, the Margherita.
According Uber Eats' data, the most-ordered categories were:
1. Fried Chicken
5. Margherita Pizza
Uber Eats and Mr D Food collectively account for 90% of South Africa’s fast food delivery market.
Naspers-owned Mr D Food surpassed Uber Eats as the dominant fast food delivery service on Android in June 2016, but Pretorius said Uber Eats is still overall, IOS included, the largest player.
Uber Eats achieved this by increasing its offering to include over 2,000 restaurants providing more than 50,000 meal options
“Our obsession with customer service and technology has helped us thrive in a highly competitive market,” Pretorius said.
Business Insider South Africa is a 24.com publication, a subsidiary of Media24, a Naspers company.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- It looks like Apple's new iPhone selfie camera may automatically smooth your skin in photos
- US, Canada reach a NAFTA rewrite agreement, paving the way for an overhaul of the massive trade deal
- This company says South Africa has no favourite biltong brand – but that is about to change
- From a tipping calculator to checking the status of a flight: 20 helpful Google search hacks
- Dagga makes you want more sex, not less — and it might even make you enjoy it more