Shocking footage captures the moment US police found a newborn baby girl alive in a plastic bag left in a wood
- A female newborn was found earlier this month in a plastic bag in the middle of the woods near Cumming, Georgia.
- Body camera footage shows a deputy cutting open the plastic bag to reveal the crying baby, who Forsyth County Sheriff's Office has named baby India.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Covered in blood with an umbilical cord still attached, a female newborn was found earlier this month in a plastic bag in the middle of the woods in the US state of Georgia.
Body camera footage posted to Facebook Tuesday by Forsyth County Sheriff's Office shows a deputy cutting open the plastic bag to reveal the crying baby, who FSCO named baby India. She was found on the evening of June 6 in a wooded area near Cumming, Georgia.
According to the post, the Forsyth County Sheriff's Office shared the video "in hopes to receive credible information on the identity of Baby India."
A man says in the video that heard the baby's cries from his house, thinking that it was an animal. Officers can be seen tending to the infant before swaddling her in a blanket.
The infant was immediately given first aid and taken to a nearby hospital, according to a press release. FSCO wrote on Facebook that baby India is "thriving" and in the care of the Georgia Department of Family and Children Services.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- TymeBank is starting to look like a retirement village for Nedbank execs
- Retrenchment tracker: South Africa’s big corporate job losses in 2019 - so far
- Col’Cacchio launches South Africa’s first 'dagga pizza'
- Here's how milk prices compare across SA — some people are paying less than a year ago, while others have seen big hikes
- There is now a panic button for South African Uber users – here’s how it works