- FNB's clients can play the Lotto via the bank's online and cellphone platforms as well as through the banking app.
- Over the last three years, the bank has paid out almost R810 million in winnings.
- But playing on the app won't increase your odds of winning, the bank says.
Over the past three years, there has been a total of 20 national lottery jackpot winners who played via FNB's digital banking platforms.
FNB customers can play the Lotto via the bank's cellphone and online banking platforms as well as through its app. The bank told Business insider South Africa that it has paid a total of R809,973 836.03 in winnings to date.
Some R424 million was paid out to people who won more than R50,000 each, says Shadrack Palmer, chief commercial officer at FNB Connect.
FNB first enabled clients to play the lottery via its online banking platform a decade ago. In 2012, the functionality was enabled on the FNB app.
Palmer says the odds of playing via the bank are, unfortunately, not higher than buying your ticket from your corner cafe.
On Tuesday, South Africans will try their luck at winning a record R190 million in the national lottery after Friday's Powerball R180 million jackpot rolled over.
For more go to Business Insider South Africa.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- This young entrepreneur sold out all his luxury leather bags after a single tweet - even Cyril Ramaphosa has one
- 'We've never seen something like this orbiting the sun': Scientists are puzzled by the shape of the most distant object ever explored
- US politician corrected by journalist Gayle King after he calls slaves 'indentured servants'
- Fantastic last-minute Valentine's gifts to order online now
- CEOs and execs might flock to 'digital detoxes' to break free of their phones, but those detoxes are usually missing the point
- European colonizers killed so many indigenous Americans that the planet cooled down, a new study reveals