Floyd Mayweather announces he will make MMA debut against undefeated Japanese kickboxer
- Floyd Mayweather is set to make his MMA debut this year.
- Mayweather will reportedly fight undefeated kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa on New Years' Eve in an event thrown by Japanese MMA brand RIZIN.
- The fight could be the first steps towards Mayweather's highly anticipated rematch with Conor McGregor in the UFC.
Floyd Mayweather has some more fight left in him.
After moving to 50-0 as a boxer with his win over Conor McGregor in last year's circus fight, Mayweather has reportedly agreed to take his first steps into the world of mixed martial arts and will fight undefeated kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa on New Years' Eve in an event thrown by Japanese MMA brand RIZIN.a potential superfight against undefeated UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov.
The exact rules of the bout have not yet been set, but RIZIN has told fight fans to "stay tuned" as details are hopefully soon to follow.
Regardless of the final rules of the bout, the move makes a potential rematch with McGregor or a fight against Nurmagomedov much more likely than it felt just days ago. While the odds of a Mayweather-McGregor bout in the Octagon still feels like a long shot, Floyd "Money" Mayweather has never been known to turn down a fight if the price is right.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa
- FNB clients can now sell their homes to each other – and save thousands in commission
- Bitcoin is 10 years old today — here's a look back at its crazy history
- People are pointing out a fundamental flaw in Kim Kardashian's new 'body positive' fragrance campaign
- Pick n Pay store removes mugs for 'maids' after outrage
- Watch Apple's October 2018 event in 8 minutes
- A chilling WhatsApp video shows passengers getting on the doomed Lion Air flight
- Dogs can sniff malaria – from your socks