A floating poultry farm is coming to the Netherlands, and it's an architectural masterpiece
- A floating poultry farm designed to house 7,000 hens is coming to Merwehaven, Rotterdam, in the Netherlands, according to its designer, the Goldsmith architecture company.
- According to a press release shared with Insider, the walls of the planned farm would be made of a combination of glass and translucent polycarbonate panels to allow visitors a peek inside the building.
- Other than egg-laying hens, the farm would have space for growing vegetables and herbs using LED lights, according to the press release.
- Goldsmith.Company's design shows an air system within the farm designed to reduce emissions of poultry dust and nitrogen.
- The press release also confirmed plans for chicken manure to be dried into fertilizer.
- The farm, which is in its final design stage according to the architecture firm's website, is part of a larger project of floating agriculture systems in the port of the Merwe-Vierhaven that already includes a dairy farm.
- For more stories, go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za
- Flu from pigs in China could cause a new human pandemic – but it may spell opportunity for SA
- These are the best-run municipalities in SA – including Midvaal and Okhahlamba in KZN
- Facing serious financial issues? Debt counselling may be your best option – but not for everyone
- An elderly elephant seal made a 5,000km journey for a 4-day summer vacation near Mossel Bay
- South Africa now has its first online, unaccredited 'dagga university'
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa: