First Tempo, now Chocolate Log: Another SA favourite bites the dust
- Nestlé is discontinuing Chocolate Log from August.
- The marshmallow-based chocolate was a beloved childhood favourite for many South Africans.
- In 2017, South Africans also lost Tempo, when Cadbury replaced it with 5 Star.
- For more stories, go to www.businessinsider.co.za.
Nestlé has confirmed that Chocolate Log, long a staple of tuck shops and midnight snacks in South Africa, will be discontinued from August.
The company said Chocolate Log “has been a loved brand for over 50 years and we thank our loyal consumers for their support over these years. We equally understand that its discontinuation may somehow disappoint some of our loyal consumers.”
The Chocolate Log was “creamy marshmallow on crisp wafer covered in milk chocolate”, and it was a staple of South African childhood.
Why is the company doing this? Innovation, apparently. “As Nestlé, our purpose is to delight our consumers through tastier and healthier products. We know that one of the main drivers of the chocolate category is innovation and that consumers love new products,” said Nestlé.
“Taking this into consideration, we do discontinue certain products and introduce new ones to the market.”
The company also tried to comfort disappointed consumers by saying it will be “bringing a variety of delicious chocolates in the coming months and we urge our consumers to be on the lookout!”
The news first hit social media via Aubergine Specialty Foods, a supplier of South African food in Canada. Business Insider South Africa has since confirmed it with Nestlé.
It’s not the only recent chocolate tragedy to hit South Africans. In 2017, Cadbury halted production of the beloved Tempo chocolate, a uniquely South African treat which had been produced since 1986. Tempo was replaced by the 5 Star chocolate.
Social media was, understandably, not impressed.
Not Chocolate Log, noooo??— Andre Vlok (@vlok_andre) July 14, 2020
I appreciate your thoughts during this tragic time of loss.Those that knew the secret to eating a Chocolate Log are wise & patience enough to delay gratification.We need more people like this in our testing time. We need more of these trials for our future, not less! #RIPCL— Nick ?? Holden @ Home (@HoldenZA) July 14, 2020
(Compiled by Edward-John Bottomley)
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- You won’t be arrested for not wearing a mask – but this may change
- Restaurants may sue government - they want money back for their losses
- Your online alcohol order won’t be coming until the ban lifts
- 'Too late to say April Fool's?' Clover responds to blue bottle backlash
- Hackers are circulating more than 15 billion stolen logins on the dark web - from less than R20 each