Eskom is buying electric cars - here's what we know
- Eskom wants to buy six electric vehicles, and has issued a tender to build 15 charging stations.
- Eskom said it wants to test the viability of electric vehicles in its fleet.
- For more stories, visit Business Insider South Africa.
Eskom is buying electric vehicles, and wants to build charging stations, as part of a test run to see if electric vehicles could be part of its fleet.
An Eskom spokesperson confirmed to Business Insider South Africa that the utility is currently in the process of procuring six electric vehicles, and has put out a tender for 15 charging stations, as part of a Treasury tender process.
This is part of a pilot project to test the viability of electric vehicles in its fleet in support of government’s National Green Transport Strategy.
According to Wheels24 there are five all-electric cars that are already on sale in SA, or will be in the near future. These include the Audi e-tron, Mercedes-Bens EQC, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i3 and the Nissan Leaf.
In April last year, Eskom announced that it was working together with vehicle manufacturers to "unlock the potential of electric powered vehicles in South Africa".
Eskom told Business Insider South Africa that it intends to monitor the electric vehicles over a fixed period to determine their performance, commercial viability and applicability in a fleet.
“The data will ultimately be used to demonstrate the benefits to other fleet vehicle owners and enable Eskom to make informed decision regarding electric fleet vehicles going forward," Eskom said.
The charging stations will also be used by employees who own electric vehicles.
“Employees are not currently incentivised to purchase these vehicles and would do so in their private capacity. Eskom supports a national initiative towards electric transportation in South Africa and continues to promote their use in various applications.”
The charging stations are planned for its offices at Megawatt Park, Rosherville, Menlyn, Vereeniging, Benoni and Midrand.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Checkers has a ‘secret’ online shop that’s up to 40% cheaper than its other stores - but there are a few catches
- Here’s how much it will cost to take larger businesses off the grid – if government scraps the ‘red tape’ now limiting self-help electricity
- 17 jobs paying more than R2 million in SA right now
- It can cost you R10,000 to stay at The Leonardo, the tallest not-quite-finished skyscraper in Africa
- How to find your next big idea and make it happen, from a CEO who's done it
- The definitive guide to what to do if you lost your ID, passport, credit card or cell phone