UPDATE | Clicks joins Game in the 2021 Easter egg price war – but PnP still cheaper for some
- As of Wednesday, both Game and Clicks have dropped the price of a box of Beacon Marshmallow Eggs to R64.99, for an effective R1.81 per egg.
- That puts them well below the standard price, though still well shy of the Pick n Pay loyalty-scheme-only price of R59.99 – or R1.67 per egg.
- Before those wartime prices, you would typically have paid R2.22 per egg.
- This year the traditional Easter icon comes in a smaller box, with a dozen less eggs, which made for a sneaky price increase across retailers.
- For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
* This article has been updated.
As of Wednesday, a roughly 20% discount on the Easter egg its makers have described as "an iconic South African tradition" is now widely available.
Clicks joined Game in selling a box of 36 Beacon Marshmallow Eggs for R64.99, down from the R79.99 standard price most retailers were charging until this week.
That is an effective price of R1.81 per egg – compared to the R3 or more you can pay elsewhere, especially by buying single eggs or strings of three.
Among the major chains that is beaten only by Pick n Pay, which as of this week will sell the same box to its Smart Shopper loyalty scheme participants for R59.99, or R1.67 per eggs.
The Pick n Pay discount comes to 25% on the standard price, while the Clicks and Game price is 19% lower than usual.
That leaves Checkers isolated in maintaining its effective price of R2.22 per egg for a box of 36.
Until 2020, Beacon's Easter eggs had been sold in boxes of 48. Though the 2021 package is 25% smaller, prices did not increase by quite that much, year on year.
But the difference did make direct comparisons harder, especially considering that the custard and strawberry flavoured variants of the chocolate-coated mallow eggs come in boxes of 24 – while the big generic of the season is selling in boxes of 30 eggs.
Private-label and generic eggs, which roughly resemble the Beacon staple (marshmallow coated in chocolate), were also seeing signs of deep discounts as the main Easter eating season approaches. As of mid-week Clicks offered a three for the price of two deal on its brand – though Checkers asked an effective R2.17 per egg for a 30-pack of eggs.
* This article has been updated throughout to include new prices, and price promises, after first publication on 20 March 2021.
Receive a daily news update on your cellphone. Or get the best of our site emailed to you
Go to the Business Insider front page for more stories.