3 award-winning drone photos that will make you see nature from a whole new perspective
- Dronestagram, an online platform used for sharing aerial images, hosts an International Drone Photography Contest each year.
- In 2018, three winners were selected among thousands of worldwide entries.
- Each winning photo depicts a different element of nature, and was taken using a flying drone camera.
- The photo that came in first place, "Hungry Hippos" by Zekedrone shows a group of the wild animals in their natural habitat in a creative way.
In 2019, you don't need a cell phone or fancy camera to take great photos. Instead, you can send a drone up in the air to capture them for you.
One website that embraces that change is Dronestagram, an online platform which allows users to upload their best aerial photography shots. Each year, the website celebrates its users' best photos with its International Drone Photography Contest. Among the thousands of entries received, only three photographers are chosen as winners.
Take a look at this year's prize-winning photos below.
In 3rd place, '2 People, 2 Dogs, & 4 Shadows' by Yevhen Samuchenko shows exactly what its title describes
The award-winning image captures two people walking with dogs alongside a beach. While the photo would likely look great if taken on land, the overhead angle is what makes this image really stand out.
From above, viewers are able to see everything from the shadows of the four subjects to the change in landscape from ocean to sand.
In 2nd place, 'Fishing Net in Vietnam' by Trung Pham depicts a big attempt to make a catch
Taken from the sky in Vietnam, photographer Trung Pham captured the moment when a fishing net was sunk deep into a large body of water. The bright colors of the net contrast strongly with the ocean, creating a stark image that likely wouldn't have been possible to achieve from the boat.
In first place, 'Hungry Hippos' by Zekedrone (American photographer Martin Sanchez) captures animals in a creative way
Coming in first place, this aerial shot of hippos taken by photographer Zekedrone is truly unique, and beautifully captures a group of wild animals in their natural habitat.
To learn more about the International Drone Photography Contest, visit Dronestagram's website.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Cryptocurrencies have just been declared hobbyist ‘financial instruments’ in South Africa – here’s what that means
- The FT correspondent in SA is reporting on the UK as if it’s an African country - and it’s hilarious
- Uber Eats and Mr D Food charge restaurants up to 30% commission – but ask them not to charge more
- SA parties just got an effective 33% discount to register for the 2019 elections
- This app gives you free restaurant meals in SA - but you need to be beautiful
- A Toto song will play ‘forever’ in the middle of the Namib desert – or at least until the sand eats it