Pics: fans camped overnight for the opening of Cape Town’s first Krispy Kreme – and the chance to win 624 donuts
- Over 110 donut fans camped for 24 hours to be among the first customers of Krispy Kreme's first outlet in Cape Town.
- First in line won donuts every week for a year – that’s 624 donuts.
- Cape Town is now home to the 17th store in South Africa, by 9am they'd sold 10,000.
- For more stories go to the Business Insider South Africa homepage.
Prizes for those at the head of the queue included a dozen Original Glazed donuts every week for a year; that’s 624 pastries for the first person to rock up. Second in line won 6 months’ worth, and third in line 3 months' worth.
For those who were slightly slow off the mark, anyone between 4th and 100th place won a dozen a month for a year.
The American chain has been around since the 1930’s, with its first South African store opening in Rosebank, Johannesburg, in 2015. The Cape Town store is the 17th in South Africa.
"It’s been a long time coming but the establishment of the Cape Town market is hugely significant and extremely exciting," said Gerry Thomas, managing director of Krispy Kreme South Africa.
See also: Dunkin' Donuts didn’t cut it in South Africa – but two more provinces will be getting Krispy Kreme donuts via Pick n Pay soon
Receive a daily email with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- The viral image that showed the scale of a gender-based-violence protest in Cape Town could land the photographer in jail
- If you have a cheque worth more than R50,000 lying around, you need to cash it in soon
- Stats SA is looking for hundreds of young workers for an upcoming census – and you have only 5 more days to apply
- 200 tons of ‘plastic road’ will be laid on a stretch of the N3 in KwaZulu-Natal soon, to see if it can last under South Africa’s harsh sun
- SAB could be forced to start brewing iconic Irish beer Guinness in South Africa – if South Africans take a real liking to it