Stop wearing your AirPods at the gym
- AirPods are one of Apple's best inventions.
- It's become common to see people at the gym wearing them.
- But you really shouldn't wear AirPods while exercising, for a few reasons.
- For more articles, go to Business Insider SA.
AirPods are everywhere these days.
You'll see people wearing them on the street, commuting with them, and using them to take calls in and outside their offices.
It's also become common to see people wearing AirPods at the gym.
But you really shouldn't wear AirPods while exercising. Here's why.
AirPods seem like ideal workout headphones — you often forget you're wearing them, and they fit snugly in most people's ears.
Apple's own ads have shown people running while wearing AirPods – but you shouldn't.
You really shouldn't wear AirPods while exercising. They are not sweat- or water-resistant.
Water damage is not covered by Apple's warranties.
If the AirPods case happens to get damaged from your sweat, you'll have to replace it.
Not everyone sweats the same, so some people may not have any issues working out with AirPods. But just know that if you do work out with them, you don't have Apple's warranty as a safety net.
Aside from the possibility of water damage causing them to fail, Apple's AirPods just aren't great for noise isolation. This means you'll need to crank up your music to hear it over the sounds of treadmills, machines, and people — and that's not good for your ears.
A pair of exercise-specific noise-cancelling over-the-ear earphones may be a better bet.
Apple may release water-resistant AirPods down the line, but the first two generations are not safe from your sweat. Bringing them to the gym, while convenient, is rolling the dice.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- The C-section rate among Discovery members is now up to three times higher than at American celebrity hospitals - here's why
- 60% of Discovery Vitality members are overweight - and they will now get personalised weight-loss plans and fitness goals
- We tested hot cross buns from Woolworths, Pick n Pay, Spar, Shoprite, Checkers and Food Lover’s – and the winner was clear
- A lawsuit has given us a rare insight into how much money retailers make from unclaimed gift cards – and it is rather a lot
- This South African ran a marathon every day for 49 days – here’s what he believes will carry you over the Two Oceans finishing line