- Trump mocked the film "Parasite" winning Best Picture at the 2020 Oscars, because the president said it was "some movie from South Korea."
- "What the hell is that? We got enough problems with South Korea with trade," Trump said. "On top of it, they give them best movie of the year?"
- "Parasite" made history at the Oscars, becoming the first international feature film to win Best Picture.
- The movie also won an Oscar for Best International Feature Film, an award that was renamed from Best Foreign Language Film.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
President Donald Trump went off on the film "Parasite" for winning Best Picture at the 2020 Academy Awards because it was made in South Korea.
The president criticized this year's Oscar during a rally in Colorado Springs, Colorado, on Thursday.
"What the hell is that? We got enough problems with South Korea with trade," he said during the rally. "On top of it, they give them best movie of the year?"
"Was it good? I don't even know," he continued.
"Parasite" made history at the Academy Awards, becoming the first international feature film to win Best Picture. The movie also won an Oscar for Best International Feature Film, an award that was newly-renamed from Best Foreign Language Film.
Director Bong Joon Ho said he was "happy to be its recipient under the new name," adding that he supported the "new direction" that the change symbolized in international film representation.
The movie also won the awards for best director and best original screenplay, and it was nominated for best production design and best film editing.
The Democratic National Committee clapped back at Trump's review of Parasite winning Best Picture.
"Parasite is a foreign movie about how oblivious the ultra-rich are about the struggles of the working class, and it requires two hours of reading subtitles," the committee tweeted. "Of course Trump hates it."
Neon, the independent film distributor behind "Parasite," also responded to Trump's comment with a clapback of their own.
"Understandable, he can't read," Neon wrote on Twitter.
- Read more:
- 'Parasite' becomes the first movie to win best picture and best international film at the Oscars
- 'Parasite' is a phenomenal thriller movie best seen with absolutely zero context
- Bong Joon Ho said his dark comedy hit 'Parasite' was inspired by his own life, and he and the cast bonded by getting drunk
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Uber drivers used to earn a minimum of R68 per trip in 2013 – this has plummeted to R18.50
- South African metered taxis could get a boost against Uber from proposed new rules
- Want to work in the UK? Here's how the new points system will work for South Africans
- We just learnt how little money Burger King is making in SA – as its local owner sells cheap
- Game’s owner has started to squeeze its suppliers, Walmart-style – and landlords are next