A US dog and dolphin have been best friends for 8 years and have the adorable photos to prove it
- A Golden Retriever and a dolphin that met at the Dolphin Research Center in Grassy Key, Florida, have become best friends.
- Gunner was an 8-week-old puppy when they met.
- Attracted by Gunner's calm demeanor, Delta the dolphin, then 4, would come to say hello, and bring Gunner toys, wanting to play with him.
- Eight years later, their unlikely friendship is still going strong.
- For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
There's nothing more wholesome than an animal friendship that spans species.
Except maybe one that's also spanned almost a decade.
- Gunner, 8, and Delta, 10, a Golden Retriever and a dolphin, met at Florida's Dolphin Research Center eight years ago, and have been best buds ever since.
Marie Blanton, a senior trainer at the center and Gunner's mom, told Insider that trainers work to build relationships with dolphins and to get to know them as individuals. As such, she wanted to expose them to as many different things as possible - including her then new, 8-week-old puppy who would accompany her to work every day.
- "When [Gunner] first went on the docks, I was expecting him to bark, or get really excited, but he did the exact opposite: He just laid down and watched," Blanton said. Apparently, this calm demeanor intrigued Delta, then 4, who Blanton describes as "very friendly, playful, and curious."
"I started to notice that every time I would bring Gunner down, Delta was the first dolphin over to the dock. He would bring him his toys as if he was trying to play with him," she said.
- And indeed, Gunner took the bait, quickly learning to play with Delta by grabbing at the toys he was being presented with.
"The friendship just blossomed over time," she said. "As both boys have gotten a bit older, they don't get to see each other quite as much now," she said, as Gunner only accompanies her to work a few times a month now.
Despite not seeing each other as often as they might like, Blanton insists that they recognise each other straightaway, and that Delta is still always the first dolphin to come say hello.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- You’ll be able to go a restaurant or casino from Monday – but you can’t have booze there
- The Level 3 rules have just changed - what you need to know
- Holidays still banned: South Africans only allowed to take day trips
- ANALYSIS | NDZ just triumphed over tobacco – and became all but legally untouchable
- A large JSE-listed mall owner just collapsed - under a R80 billion debt burden