Dis-Chem is offering pap smears and prostate cancer screenings for R120 each
- Dis-Chem is offering pap smears and prostate cancer screenings for R120 each.
- The offer ends at the end of the month.
- The pap smears are part of a cervical cancer awareness campaign.
The pharmacy chain Dis-Chem is offering a large discount on pap smears at their in-store wellness clinics.
Usually, pap smears, when laboratory costs are included, can cost up to R800.
But for February, this has been lowered to only R120. Dis-Chem offers the pap smear in partnership with Lancet Laboratories, as part of an awareness campaign for cervical cancer.
"Cervical cancer is one of the most common types of cancers in women worldwide," says Dis-Chem clinics manager Lizeth Kruger. She says more than 4,000 South Africans die from this disease every year.
See also: Dis-Chem bagged half a million new customers in two months - but still disappointed investors
Cervical cancer can be successfully treated if it’s found early.
Dis-Chem also offers prostate cancer screenings for R120 this month. Like the pap smears, the amount includes lab fees.
"When abnormal prostate tissue or cancer is found early, it may be easier to treat and cure, but it is unclear if early detection reduces mortality rates," says Kruger.
For more, go to Business Insider South Africa.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- This shocking graph shows how SA company profits have disappointed investors
- 'Google, this is bogus as hell' — one of the fathers of the internet blasts Google for how Chromecast behaves on his home network
- Being in love could prevent women getting a cold, according to new research
- Experts have a calendar scheduling strategy to make even the busiest person happier
- Discovery is paying R23 million a month to rent its shiny new head office, which has a roof-top running track
- Why today's Budget speech will be a horror show