For the tenth year in a row, this law firm was South Africa's top dealmaker
- The annual DealMakers prizes have been awarded to SA's top M&A deals and advisors.
- Top law firm Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr scooped the most wins, including the award for the most number of deals.
- This is the tenth year in a row that it won that prize.
Dubbed the Oscars of mergers and acquisitions, the 18th annual DealMakers prizes were awarded this week.
One of SA's big five law firms, Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr (CDH) bagged the most wins (four). Among its prizes was an award for the highest number of deals, which it won for the tenth year in a row.
The firm advised on 69 merger and acquisition deals in 2018 alone, which included Uber Eats' acquisition of the restaurant ordering systems provider orderTalk and the acquisition of a 50%-stake in the device producer Medhold by Old Mutual.
A R16.4 billion Vodacom-YeboYethu BEE deal, the largest in the ICT sector to date, accounted for just over a quarter of the value of CDH's deals.
CDH's deals accounted for 24% of the total M&A deal value in 2018, which came to R55 billion.
Old Mutual's managed separation and unbundling of its 54% stake in Nedbank was hailed the Deal of the Year.
Bowmans scooped best legal advisors by transaction flow, while Webber Wentzel had the most transaction value in the general corporate finance category.
Webber also had the most deals in the BEE category.
For more, go to Business Insider South Africa.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Eskom as we know it is dead - here’s what's coming in its place
- This is how this year’s Budget is going to hurt you – from a sugar tax hike to an income tax blow
- 14 surprises in this year’s Budget – including a new national theatre and a shock fuel tax
- Samsung finally showed off its new foldable smartphone - and it's great for watching videos
- Bruce Whitfield: Why the Budget doesn’t go far enough